TR4 Wire Wheels - What's the best option?

Now I'm nearing completion of the restoration of my TR4, I have a slight dilemma with the wheels,

Those currently on the car are chrome (not in good condition!) which were not standard when the car was built.

Is it possible to treat the wheels (sandblast or some other treatment) and then paint the wheels silver or aluminium or would it

be cheaper to buy a new painted set?

Although I like the look of chrome wheels, there is the issue of maintenance (keeping them clean!)

Other members thoughts/experiences are welcome!

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I picked up some 60 spoke rims last year where the chrome had a few problems.

I took them to my man 'Phill the Wheel' (West London).

Firstly he trued the wheels and replaced any dodgy bits. Then he grit blasted the chrome to give it a key for the paint. Then painted in a silver/grey colour.

The result was good and hopefully the maintenance should be on the low side.

Roger

Now I'm nearing completion of the restoration of my TR4, I have a slight dilemma with the wheels,

Those currently on the car are chrome (not in good condition!) which were not standard when the car was built.

Is it possible to treat the wheels (sandblast or some other treatment) and then paint the wheels silver or aluminium or would it

be cheaper to buy a new painted set?

Although I like the look of chrome wheels, there is the issue of maintenance (keeping them clean!)

Other members thoughts/experiences are welcome!

Geoff

Go for Minilite type Geoff, far easier to clean & I think they look as good as wires (my preference of course, others may think different!).

Cheers.

My car came with wires, a bit scruffy and out of true after only a few thousand miles, but a lot of years since fitting by PO. Cost of refurbishing/replacing versus some Minilites on Ebay, plus I am not so sure I like wires on the non side screen cars, tipped me to bidding for the Minilites.Which I got a good deal on. So £200 later and.... steering precision improved, car handling transformed, noise/vibration reduced. So for me its functionality versus style, you takes your choice.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Just had my wheels returned from 'Phil the Wheel'.

What a fantastic job for a very reasonable price; cheaper than buying new wheels by far. Wheels were checked, respoked where necessary and then painted.

I thoroughly recommend Phil Hallewell Engineering to restore your wire wheels. I have no association with him, just a satisfied customer.

http://www.pjhallewe...ineering.co.uk/

Geoff