help wanted on misfire

Any salad cream in the filler cap, radiator or dipstick tube? If so then yes it's the head gasket. If not, can you get hold of a compression tester?

Billy

I had a similar problem when I rebuilt my '73 CR. When I refitted the engine I treated it to a new rotor arm and cap but could not get it to fun correctly even with all the checks you have completed - good spark etc.

Eventually replaced the new cap with an old cap found gathering dust in my garage and hey presto! ran like a dream??

I checked the new cap for any defects and continuity - all checked out OK, just wouldn't do what it said on the tin!

Worth a try?

Graham

number 1&2 both not firing have done all the usual checks fuel spark ect

cheers Bill

Do you mean there is no spark on 1 and 2? - or that 1 and 2 do have sparks but are nonetheless not firing?

Billy

I had a similar problem when I rebuilt my '73 CR. When I refitted the engine I treated it to a new rotor arm and cap but could not get it to fun correctly even with all the checks you have completed - good spark etc.

Eventually replaced the new cap with an old cap found gathering dust in my garage and hey presto! ran like a dream??

I checked the new cap for any defects and continuity - all checked out OK, just wouldn't do what it said on the tin!

Worth a try?

Graham

Defo good idea ;)

I had a similar problem last year, turned out to br the leads.

Try running your engine at night, with the bonnet open, I could see flashing up and down my leads where the broke down.

Worth a try?

Steve

If you have spark and compression it has to be fuel, or air.

Do the injector hoses 'pulse'? injectors, even new, can block and stop pulsing. Compare 1 or 2 with the others.

Are the front two butterflies opening?

Head gasket are very reliable and you'd be loosing water down the overflow into the catch bottle if jacket pressurising.

I would say its unlikely to be the headgasket - especially if you've changed all the electrical bits - more likely to be a faulty "new" rotor arm, dizzy cap or lead....

If not, has the Metering unit timing been checked? Are the injector pipes pulsing / ticking if you squeeze them between your thumb and forefinger....??

Also check the fuel pressure - any drop below 105 PSI can cause problems / mis-fire...

Thanks to all members who responded to my request for help regarding my misfire. I have now replaced the dizzy cap leads and plugs now firing on all 6 cylinders. the first time it has run in 25years as a complete car :D

Thanks

Bill

I'm currently suffering rough running and misfires. On removing the dis cap the little central button fell out. New dis cap, points, condenser and coil have not produced a cure. Two new rotor arms from Moss both snapped, for some reason (no I don't fit them with a hammer!) so now back to the original. Will get a red (?) one next as supposed to be better - though not sure why.

Timing OK, plug leads in right sequence. About to check fuel side but plugs all look a bit oily after idling.

Any more ideas much appreciated.

Chris Porter

Chris

Try new plugs - the misfiring wont have helped the old ones.

Also look in the dark for stray sparks on leads.

Petrol is not left over from last year?

Suspect the PI last!

Peter