What tyres on 5.5 minilites?

I have recently purchased a great restored TR4 which runs on 5.5 minilite lookalike alloys shod with 195/60 Yokohamas.

I love the car, having owned several TR's over the years, the first in 1965, but the steering is very heavy at 28psi all round. I would like to change to a 175 width tyre to lighten up the steering a bit as my arms are a lot older than they used to be.

Has anyone any experience with 175's on 5.5 rims or any other constructive comments?

Chas

195s are about as wide as you really want to go on a TR, imo, and then on a 6inch rim

With a 5.5 minilite i would have thought 185s would be max width, and no doubt the narrower tyre the easier the steering,at low speeds, will be,

cheers,

Laurence.

ps i seem to recall , on a 6 i owned in the 80s ,had 205s on standard 6 steel rims :wacko: , tramlined like a dog

Hello Chas - welcome to the forum - which over-riders did you say you were you looking for?

cheers

John

Hi

I use 175 tyres on my 5.5 mililtes for rallying, 185 for racing as need the rubber on the rears particularly. For road use I'd say 175's are the best blend of grip to handling to lightness of steering. They also tend to fit in the spare wheel well more comfortably.

If you can stretch, the Avon CR6 ZZ is the road tyre to go for.

Regards

Tony

I know it's not supposed to be done but I fitted Dunlop SP 195/65 x 15" to my 5.5 width minilite replicas 3 years ago and have never regretted it.

I used to have 195's on the TR4, before it was restored / modded. I got little feel from that mixture and when it let go in the wet....it let go. Plus I had to go to the gym to be able to park.

After the mods, I run on 185's, which I am very happy with - good grip, much better feel on the TR4 / 5.5 miniltes. That is on CR6ZZ tyres. I tend to agree with Tony that a good mix for road, would be with the 175's, but the 185's are great for me.

Charles, it's worth popping over to the "Tyre Size ... again!!! thread. I put some useful links there, esp the Yokohama website. Actually finding the tyres in the size you want is another issue!

• 3 weeks later...

I've just fitted Vredestein 165/80/15 onto 5.5 minilites. They look perfect!

tyres_side2.jpg

minif1.jpg

tyres_side.jpg

Side by side with 195/65/15 on 6 inch rims.