Hi Folks

Have just bought a replacement Brake Servo from the TR Shop, as always excellent, prompt service and a good price :)

However. now ready to fit and I discover that the bracket at the end of the push rod is not as long as the one currently fitted. subsequently it seems to me that the only way to get the pin through the holes in the bracket would be to enlarge the holes :angry: not a good look!

Has anyone had any issues getting a replacement servo or come across this issue before, TR Shop are mystified and say have never come across this problem before although they are checking into it further.

Any advice or guidance would be great!!

Thanks

Hi Folks

Have just bought a replacement Brake Servo from the TR Shop, as always excellent, prompt service and a good price :)

However. now ready to fit and I discover that the bracket at the end of the push rod is not as long as the one currently fitted. subsequently it seems to me that the only way to get the pin through the holes in the bracket would be to enlarge the holes :angry: not a good look!

Has anyone had any issues getting a replacement servo or come across this issue before, TR Shop are mystified and say have never come across this problem before although they are checking into it further.

Any advice or guidance would be great!!

Thanks

Just been playing with mine recently, also fron Tr Shop 2-3 years ago. I didnt have any problems with the rod to the pedal, fitted perfectly.

What about grinding or fileing the back edge of the pedal to accomodate the fork, depends on how much you are talking about to get the pin to fit.

Perhaps a photo might help.

Also would be interesting to know what the end of the pushrod to servo end, clearance is.

Is it possible you could put a straight edge across the end of the servo(alongside the threads), and then measure with feeler gauges the clearance between your staright edge and nut on pushrod end.

Cheers

GUY

More info here, and shows where to measure towrds bottom of the page.

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/technical.htm

Edited by Jersey Royal

Many thanks Guy, an update.....spoke to Chris at TRGB and he knew exactly what I was talking about straight away and what the the problem is, they have told the manufacturers and stopped selling them, problem is that all the usual suspects are selling the same bit of kit from the same manufacturer :( . You are right that it seems the only reasonable solution is to grind away some of the pedal to fit the fork, TRGB said a couple of their customers have done this, a bit of a balls ache but needs must <_<

Interestingly the manufacturer was reluctant to agree with TRGB that they have stuffed up probably because they have made about 500 of them and do not intend to do anything about it until they have shifted this batch!!! :rolleyes:

Cheers

manufacturer was reluctant to agree with TRGB that they have stuffed up probably because they have made about 500 of them and do not intend to do anything about it until they have shifted this batch!!! :rolleyes:

Whatever happened to the legal requirement that goods should be 'fit for purpose'?

Edited by badshead
  • 1 month later...

I bought a TR Shop servo and master cylinder on a "special deal" some years ago and fitted to TR5 two years ago.

No problems at all with fitting and brakes fine for first 12 months + then started deteriate. i.e.more and more pressure required to pull car up.

Checked vacuum and non returnn valve all ok, checked all other possibles,but i had a firm pedal.

After seeing the "buckeye" site and talking with good friend Dave Dawson i removed the MC and looked clearance at end of pushrod with steel rule and feelers.

Clearance was near 1/4" not 0.016" as specified. Screw nut at end is loose,moves in and out a couple of mm and turns on threads. Not impressed - lives are involved when brakes do not work.

I didn't met this fork problem before, so can't help, but pushroad clearance is a crucial problem with new servos, especially when they are mated to a new after market master cylinder !

For what it's worth, I drove a TR6 last week, the servo and master cylinder weren't anything like an original or even a copy of an original part, it was an ATE (Ford ?), reference 3.7742.2501.4 and 023 5 (or S ?) A1N 3.45

No brake problems untill now with these parts....

Chris.

Shocking !! Im surprised that the manufacturer is trying to `move' a defective batch of brake products that could potentially threaten lives. I think all the usuals should return the stock and bring pressure to bear on the manaufacturer to rectify. Failing any corrective action the TR community should take them to trading standards. Surely we arent going to just roll over and accept it.

I have just experienced exactly the same problem today. After a ponder I decided to file the inside surface down on an angle to try and buy the extra space needed. Infact comparing and measuring both forks, the original is a good 7mm longer from the inside edge to the centre hole, no amount of filing will ever make up that amount of space. Unit is going back for a refund as not fit for purpose. Very Dissapointed