Bullet mirrors for a TR4

I've just become the owner of a TR4 and am as happy as the proverbial piggy!

After a quick blast down the M4 I realised that it would be better if I fitted door mirrors. The car came with unfitted bullet mirrors which I've installed but cant see anything from the passenger one. From old photos I know the mirrors were fitted previously, so I assume they were functional. Has anyone else fitted these on a 4 and are happy with them. Should I fit something else?

Steve  

:D

Steve, I have the same problem as you and cannot see a damn thing through them. I am going to change mine to either a tr6 style which have the same centres 2" i think or look for some period mirrors at the next stoneleigh show.

but bullet mirrors are out for me !

Rectangular mirrors are wider, so the field of view(?) is wide enough with a flat mirror glass. With the small bullet style mirrors, the glass on the passenger side has to be convex to get a wider field of view and this convexity can be more or less pronounced. But with the convex shape, cars are much closer than they appear to be in the mirror. So bullet mirrors can't be safe.
Guest andywduck

I've got TR6 style chrome mirrors on mine, they look fine. Most Triumph spares places sell them, they arent expensive. Rimmers sell them for £21.50 each (GAM213 & GAM 214).

Suggest you dont go for "wing" mirrors as they are a real pain, if you cant rmember what they were like!

Andy

On my 4 I have no effective mirrors, nothing on the doors-I think it spoils the lines, childs head in the rear view mirror, so I'm limited to a glance over the right shoulder + flooring it!

Rob.

we put bullet-style door mirrors on our '4. the drivers side one has always been OK, but the passenger side one took some fiddling. initially we mounted it with the mount parallel with the top of the door. we found that there was not enough adjustment in the mirror to get it to the right angle. we have now altered the angle of the mount on the door and its fine.

we're using a convex mirror on the pass. side

plus they look PUKKA !

• 2 weeks later...

I put wing mirrors on my TR3 and I think that they are the best safety feature that can be fitted (as there is little ability to fit door type mirrors). They really come into their own with the roof up (as visability is then somewhat limited). They do not do the lines of the car any good and I keep knocking them in the garage. But for motorway driving they make a massive difference.

I have just fitted bullets (and no wing mirrors) to my TR4 though and I hope that they will work and look smart when it eventually hits the road. Convex on the near side.

• 2 weeks later...
Rob does not have door mirrors because in truth he`s not tall enough to see over the doors to use them. but dont tell him i`ve told you the real reason.
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies. I've left the mirrors on the doors as the bolts used to hold them on are pretty big and I'd have to fill and repaint to hide the holes.

The drivers one is ok so I think I'll just look out for a convex glass for the passenger side.

Steve