best place to buy body panels

Hi, I am new to this forum and looking for advice on the best place to buy body panels for my tr6.

I need all the outer panels and a fair few inner panels, so it comes to a chunk of money and I want to get the best price/quality.

Do Rimmerbros, moss, tr shop ect, get there panels from the same place ? [bmh maybe] meaning the quality would be the same wherever I bought the panels, I would only have to take the price into account.

I did get some advice from Robsport who said I would be better off getting a Californian car or shell and using that, but I think that would be easier said than done, judging by the number of restorations carried out in the USA, if there were an abundace of rust free TR,s they would just buy them. Any comments would be appreciated.

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum, what part of Essex are you in?

Personally, I think getting a rot free "California" shell is the way to go. However I think you will find this a difficult task now. It seems to me that the supply is not as great as it once was or that US buyers are either getting "wise" to the value of rot free shells or (hopefully) that they are appreciating the cars more and putting them back on the road.

The other option (if your shell is really poor) is buying a part-completed project where someone has done all the hard work and lost interest. My son-in-laws car is one such as this. Loads of new panels, fantastic chassis, tons of new bits, then the chap bought an E-type and lost heart in the TR. Sell of the unwanted bits and it might be viable.....?

I'm pretty sure all new panels come from the same source so the fit (good or bad) may be the same wherever you buy. NOS parts will be better but much dearer.

Simon

Edited by simonjrwinter

Hi simon

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I am near stansted airport.

The shell on my TR is not as bad as some that I have seen restored, it could be fixed but in panels, it will come to about £3500 to £4000

Is there some where other than ebay I should be looking for a californian car/shell?

There is one listed at the moment, for about £4000.00 has anyone been to look at it?

Another question on the US models is the o/s/f inner wheel arch different to to the UK ones it looks like the recess wher the air filter sits is different. would it affect putting the PI engine in?

Paul,

I have some original British Leyland outer panels for a TR6 and some excellent 2nd hand ones. I'm in Suffolk now and would be prepared to try and help relieve you of some money.........get in touch if you want to pop up and see me....

Regards Mark

Paul,

I wouldn't worry too much about the o/s/f wheelarch recess overmuch as the two different pressings overlapped by a considerable period of time. The earliest "long" recess I have seen was on a 1970 model US TR6, CC58872L which would have been built on the 16th November 1970 and the latest "short" recess I have seen was on CR669-O built on the 2nd January 1973. I have a Standard Triumph drawing of the wheelarch and amendment 6 on the drawing dated the 4th April 1970 refers to the extension of of the depression however going by my observations they continued to use the earlier tool for a long time after that.

Cheers

Derek

Edited by saffrontr

Hi Paul,

Have you tried Ray Gill of TR Improvements he is only down the road to you at Thaxted - he has broken many cars over the years and has panels and many other parts.

If you want to give me a call on 077961 42330 I can give you his numbers.

Also there are members of the local groups with bits squirrelled away, I'm sure you won't have too many problems getting what you need.

Cheers

Ian

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-tr6-/290653347098?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item43ac4a1d1a

If this car is as good as the seller says, it could be worth buying this, stripping it down selling the bits (a good chassis is always worth a fair bit) and using the body. Apart from the work involved in stripping it down, it could be a better option.

Simon

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-tr6-/290653347098?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item43ac4a1d1a If this car is as good as the seller says, it could be worth buying this, stripping it down selling the bits (a good chassis is always worth a fair bit) and using the body. Apart from the work involved in stripping it down, it could be a better option. Simon

Hi Simon

Going to have a look at it tomorrow... fingers crossed.

Paul