As far as Standard-Triumph was concerned, there was no such thing as a TR3A - it was always a TR3, but with a wide grin, i.e a re-working of the apron to appeal to the Americans.

There were some minor improvements all along the TR3 road - see Bill Piggott's "Original Triumph TR2/3/3A" for details.

As they say, "You pays your money and you makes your choice"!

Ian Cornish

Hi all,

As a new comer to side screen cars could anyone tell me what the differences are between the 3 and the 3a?

Which is more desriable?

thanks

t

They are all TR3's but the marketplace gave them the designations TR3, TR3A, TR3B to distinguish between the different models.

In my opinion the most desirable and best looking is the small mouth TR3's built from 1955 to 1957. After 1957 the car got the TR3A designation and the wide mouth. TR3A was built from 1958 to 1961 with just one year of TR3B production in 1962.

It is ironic that when the 3A was introduced people were converting the TR3 to the wide mouth apron. Today I see the opposite happening with people restoring TR3A's with the small mouth apron. I was very tempted myself..

Stan

My bill of sale from when I ordered my TR3 back in 1958 reads "TR3" - not TR3A. This designation was only a common way among TR owners to distiguish their cars as the more recent models. Some even suggest that it was some Canadian who, when asked "What kind of a car it this?" replied - "It'a TR3 EH !!"

TONYL, in a nutshell -

TR3's have the small mouth front apron with the grille set at the front. They have no external door handles, other than a few cars that were delivered with the GT kit - hardtop and door handles. The boot has no handle - it closes with a tee key. The seats are a different pattern, The front bumper bar is different too.. Early TR3's came with all drum brakes - later versions had front disc brakes. The rear indicators were included in the side tail lights. Around 13,376 examples were built between 1955 and 1957, with approx 85% of those being LHD.

TR3A's had the wide mouthed grille known as the "dollar grin" for the US market. They had external door and boot handles. There were seperate amber indiactors set in the rear apron. There was a new front bumper and seat trim/ rear trim panel pattern. Two versions were produced known as early and later cars. Basically the tooling wore out, so Mulliners, where the bodies were made, retooled with a few improvements such as bonnet and boot hinges on raised plinths, inside bottom of doors rounded, timber rails inside the scuttle and doors replaced with metal. The wiring loom was changed to lucar connectors. Around 61,558 examples were built, again the majority being LHD. As Stan touched on, later, during TR4 production, another run of basically TR3A's were put through in LHD only for the US market. These became known as TR3B's. There were two series of these, the latter having TR4 engines, gearboxes and disc brakes, after TR3A supplies ran out.

As to desirablilty, that's really in the eye of the beholder. I suggest you view and drive both and decide which you prefer.

Hope that helps,

Viv.