Hood identification

Dear TR6 Enthusiasts,,

Unfortunately for me this is just a fleeting visit and a temporary membership but I hope you can help me.

A neighbour died just over a year ago and his widow has found a soft top in the attic and she has asked me to sell it for her.

She is a pensioner and finding life a bit difficult since her loss so I am hoping to do the best I can for her and get a good price for it.

I have contacted Rimmer Bros. And they suggest it might be a TR6 hood and I am hoping you can confirm if it is or not.

Is there any particular measurement or location/type of fitting that would identify it?

I have attached 3 photos of the hood, one inside, one outside and one of a fitting. The yellow bar is a 1 meter ruler.

I would be very grateful for any help, and my neighbour would too!

Many thanks,

Graham

PICT0007-1.jpg

PICT0006.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

I would say that this hood is not for a TR6 or a TR5. There are various things that are not correct for a TR6 hood......take the rear window for a start, way too square in shape and appears to be too deep for a TR6/5. The attachment studs (4 off) shown on the underside are in the wrong position too they should be near the back of the hood. This looks to be a poor quality item as well so bad news for your neighbour really with minimal value involved here.

Can't say for sure what this fits....sorry.

Alan

If anything I would have thought TR4 hood with the wire clips at the front but it also has 6 press studs along the top of the windscreen rail and TR4 Hoods have Just a metal bar sewn into the seam and A press stud at each extremety of the widscreen

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog

I agree with Kiwifrog

Looks a lot like an aftermarket TR4 to me. Could also be Spitfire 4 &/or Spitfire MkII.

Does the front edge that would be above the windscreen have 3 strips of metal in it? - If so and they have been folded, they too are aftermarket as the OE were spring steel. There should also be a strip of steel up the back edge of the side windows if it is TR4.

Sewing and welting quality is poor but if you can not get one, it is terrific as it would keep the rain out.

Cheers

Peter W

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate all your help.

The front edge has a hard plastic/rubber strip in it which is quite flexible and the six studs are not studs but rivets holding said strip in place.

I will try to get over to Malvern next weekend and see if I can spot something it fits.

Hope you're all enjoying this unexpected sunshine recently, keep those tops down!

Thanks again and best wishes,

Graham

Edited by gtoye
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, this is a busy forum! Had to go way back to find this thread :-)

Anyway, the guys on the TR4 forum have pretty much confirmed the hood is for a TR4.

I have listed it on eBay and as a thankyou I am offering forum members a 10% discount. Thought it only fair to let you guys know too as you may know someone who owns a TR4 but doesn't use the forum.

TR4 thread is here...

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=31699

eBay auction is here...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300615075084

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

All the best,

Graham