Throckmorton Challenge, 15th October

Get your entry in, Kev! Last HRCR Clubman's rally of the year so don't miss it, I hear it was a good event last year. There's camping on the airfield Friday night so a get together and BBQ could be in order.

Glad you could make it, Darren, we'll all have some fun, just remember to listen to Susan on those tests!!

I'll bring the gas barbie, then.

There's camping available on most stage rallies nowadays in the central service area, although it's only taken off properly in the last two years. Must be a sign of the times! I've camped on most rallies this year so you're not on your own!

The Leukaemia Rally is especially convenient as it is based on a pub and restaurant situated on a caravan and camping site!

Edited by Nigel 628
  • 2 weeks later...

Seeded entry list now on the website: http://www.heroevent...011/entry_list/

Well, I say seeded, but HERO seem to do things their own way and have 'seeded' the cars by capacity then age instead of the usual method of the crew's past results. I had expected that being a round of the HRCR Clubman's road rally championship it would be run to the same class format, which would be logical, but there was no proper space on the entry form for seeding info, just a vague 'previous experience' question.

My question is, how do these classes fit in with HRCR classes, with no capacity distinction but Masters/Experts/Novices/Beginners based on previous results, when it comes to Saturday's results counting towards the championship? Perhaps they will change the list before the weekend, or maybe produce two sets of results?

Ryan Pickering's TR4 should do well in the 'under 1600cc' class..........

Nigel

Maybe it's not so important with a mainly test based event. We can't work out why we are where we are, however lots of good people around us, John Ruddock in front (as he should be) and Ron Kendal & Nick Cooper behind us (where they shouldn't be!) Looking forward to thrashing around the tests. May the games begin!

Well, it counts towards the HRCR championship; overall results are no problem but how do you award class points when the classes are different?

Choice of Masters or Clubman entries must be down to the organisers' opinions - you obviously didn't boast enough on your entry form, Darren!! Your car's a year older than Ron's; Les and I are one place ahead of Beastie solely because my TR4 is a year older! - don't worry, Tony, we'll pull over for you on the longer tests...

This stage rally refugee has trouble with tests - once started I don't want to slow down or stop again before the finish line! Being held on a wide open old airfield will only make it worse.....never mind, it'll all be great fun, looking forward to it.

Hello, I have only just spotted this forum really since purchasing what is Roger's old car after the Hughes rally. Lisa and I are looking forward to our first event in our "new" TR. It may be our first time out in a quicker car than the old vitesse but we will still be trying, no point really being there otherwise. Look forward to seeing you at scrutineering on Friday night, cheers.

Hello . So! Nobody really understands the class improvement system on a one day rally? By my reckoning Tony and Richard won the rally by 18seconds from Howard (20 second from the old TR) so the TRs did beat the 911s in real time. Everybody won a medal and a great time was had. Lots of airfield space for a spin or two. Just as well Andrew and Rob won the gearknobs due to Alfa's reliability issues.

Well, we didnt really understand the way the results were derived but it was a great fun day, and especially good to the the tail end of three TR4's hurtling around as if they were stolen. Ryan was especially quick in the afternoon !

Results (apparently!) are as follows and this round was indeed the HRCR Championship decider;

Throckmorton Decides the Clubmans Championship

Howard Warren has won the 2011 REIS HRCR Clubmans Rally Championship driver's title on the final round, the HERO Throckmorton Challenge at Pershore Airfield on 15th October, where he drove the Porsche to finish safely ahead of his main challenger John Ruddock.

The Throckmorton Challenge was won on HERO's class improvement scoring by Andrew Buzzard and Robb Lyne in the white Alfa Giulia Sprint, while Tony Sheach & Richard Lambley in the Triumph TR4 came out best on scratch penalties for top championship points.

Throckmorton Challenge Top 5

1. Andrew Buzzard/Robb Lyne (Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTV), 56

2. Tony Sheach/Richard Lambley (Triumph TR4), 65

3. Jon Wood/Iain Tullie (Morris Mini Cooper), 72

4. Howard Warren/Matthew Warren (Porsche 911), 83

5. Ryan Pickering/Lisa Marshall (Triumph TR4), 85

Scratch Results Top 5

1. Tony Sheach/Richard Lambley (Triumph TR4), 1318

2. Howard Warren/Matthew Warren (Porsche 911), 1336

3. Ryan Pickering/Lisa Marshall (Triumph TR4), 1338

4. Andrew Buzzard/Robb Lyne (Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTV), 1362

5. Jon Wood/Iain Tullie (Morris Mini Cooper), 1378

This was a good taster for the tests and regularities on LEJOG later this year and proved again that reliability is everything ..... we had a fuel pump give up in the afternoon and finally got a chance to change it before the last regularity. On the way to the preceding one we had to stop for a (very) quick fix which put us nearly 2 minutes into our start time before we got to the reg itself, meaning a very quick drive through the Worcestershire lanes to recover .... and as it was we only lost 2 seconds off the ideal which was very fortunate indeed!

Another belting day out and great to see nearly 70 cars on this one, many of which were extremely exotic, fast and well driven.

A good day's thrash in glorious weather for mid-October. I must get more practice with this throwing it around cones lark: more accuracy, and a better memory would help too! Waiting on the start line of a morning test watching Ryan's TR4 hurtling across my bows at speed - backwards in a cloud of dust - was entertaining, though. The wide runways certainly allowed us all to use the TR's power to the full.

WKE lost it's cool early on when the electric fan fell off it's spindle; there was no quick fix but it was OK whilst moving so I switched off whilst waiting in start queues and carried on that way to the finish.