Boot and Bonnet Hinges

I've read that the hinges are "handed" but how do you tell them apart accurately? I have 4 that are quite nice, but don't see an obvious difference among the four. I've heard that they are easy to mix up and I can see why :-) Two do have a "2" punched inside and the other two do not, but that could have been done anytime in the past, and it still does not indicate their "handedness".

So how do you tell them apart, and are they different between the boot and the bonnet? I see that TRF lists two different part numbers: http://trf.zeni.net/TR2-TR3Handbook/29.php but it is not clear what the differences are between boot and bonnet hinges.

Appreciate any insight you can share. Thanks.

Cheers, Mike

Mike,

If you look at them 'end on' you will see that the fixing studs are not perpendicular to the hinge line. That's how you tell left from right.

I can't remember off hand what the difference is between boot and bonnet without looking at them - are the studs at different centres?

Rgds Ian

The boot (or trunk if you are of colonial persuasion) ones have a "pip" on the top of the front section by the hinge pin to stop you opening them too far and hitting the filler cap. The hinges are angled to follow the curve of the body.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Mike,

If you look at them 'end on' you will see that the fixing studs are not perpendicular to the hinge line. That's how you tell left from right.

I can't remember off hand what the difference is between boot and bonnet without looking at them - are the studs at different centres?

Rgds Ian

Thanks Ian

After your post I took a picture of the "end-on" view. They are definitely different, but not obvious until you look from that orientation. Now just have to decide which is which. Thinking this is L/R as shown so the "2" would be the L hinge looking from rear of car at boot or front of car at bonnet.

IMG_0088Small.jpg

Cheers, Mike

Thanks for the additional information Stuart. Here is what I have. I don't see a "pip" so are all four of these actually bonnet hinges?

IMG_0092Small.jpg

Although at first glance I thought they were the same, the two on the top are much thicker at the hinge (about .700 of an inch) than the bottom two (about .575 of an inch). Are these boot versus bonnet, or old versus newer style hinges?

Cheers, Mike

I have a number of hinges here, some original and some repro`s but the original bonnet ones have no pip and on the leg that fits to the bonnet the stud closest to the hinge point is at the rear of the flat underneath and the boot ones have a pip with that same stud at the front of the flat.

Some of the repro`s have both holes drilled and threaded but originals only had one done. I suspect you just have two sets of repro bonnet hinges Mike.

Photo shows differences in originals.

Stuart.

DSC04664.jpg

DSC04663.jpg

DSC04662.jpg

Edited by stuart

Mike, it's worth locktiting or aralditing the threaded fixings into the hinges for extra strength, as the hinge threads are a bit weak.

Also, the scuttle gasket has minumum coverage and is prone to leaking water, which then drips down on your leg.

To seal the fixings, I use a flat washer with a small bead of silicone (then a spiked or spring washer) on both the boot and bonnet hinges.

There's a trap with the inner bolts on the long section of the hinges. On early cars, that hinge bolt fouls the rubber boot seal. When closing the bonnet, the inner bolt can hit the scuttle drain.

I shorten these inner bolts so there's no thread showing below the nut, then araldite the cut end into the hinge.

Regards,

Viv.

• 3 months later...

The chap who is doing the body repairs on my car has discovered that the previous fixing holes for the boot hinge have been welded up and new holes drilled. He isn't happy that they are in the right place. (Nothing would surprise me) To try and sort out what is right please could anyone answer the following:

Apart from the pip and the stud position, are the bonnet and boot hinges the same? (length, hinge position etc)

Could anyone measure for me the position of the fixing holes from the edge of the boot.

Many thanks

Dave

I will do the measurements tomorrow Dave. Feet up at the moment after first shoot of the season. :ph34r:

Stuart.

Hole centres are 3/4" in from the front edge for the first hole and 3" for the second hole, they are 7" in from the outer edge for the front hole and 6 15/16" for the rear again for hole centres, holes are 19/64". The boot hinges have the stud in the front hole of the two and the bonnet hinges on the rear of the two positions. Most original ones only had one drilling but the repros I have are drilled with both so they can be used for either.

Stuart.