Another 4a back on the road

Well I thought I would break the good news here, another 4a is back on the road after an extended absence of about 22 years.

I cannot claim all the credit for the restoration in total but but thought I would share my part and the resulting "Triumph" (sic).

In January this year I bought an abandoned restoration, the seller had given up sfter 15 years of trying, I might add the car it self had been off the road for a very very long time.

Over a 15 year period the car had been stripped and fitted with new floors, sills, inner wings f+R rear deck and extensions, boot floor and valence and a door skin, in fact it was near enough a new shell, which was then painted and put back on a restored chassis along with a new engine, OD box and diff.

As with all projects if it has not been done the way you would have done it, regardless of how well it has been done, then it has to be done again and so I set about removing everything that was in place and began refurbishing and detailling every part of the car, basically starting with a painted shell and bare engine bay.

As I hadnt done a 4a before I had to call upon the TR massif to assist in the details and would like to thank John Allen for taking the time to photograph his own engine bay so i could use it as a point of reference.

It took me 5 months and maybe 400 hours to rebuild and detail every component in the engine bay, re wire and re trim plus hours and hours getting the smallest details to be "as they should".

I look back now and see a stunning and completed car but am amazed how long it took to get it right, in this case maybe 400 hours. I am a slow worker, but after this I can hold my head up high and once again say I am an engineer, a fabricator, a painter, an auto electrician, a plumber, a detailler, a trimmer and a Triumph enthusiast.

So that is it another 4a re born and a project satisfactorily completed.

To those about to set out on a similar journey, do not underestimate the time, and the cost but above all concentrate on one job at a time. Be prepared to overcome insurmountable problems on a daily basis even up to the the minutes before the MOT when you discover that the wiper arms you bought from your favourite supplier have springs too strong for the wiper motor to move the blades across the screen (yeh I bet you didnt know about that one! actually I did nt but every one else did!!!) and above all dont be tempted to buy a wooden steering wheel and chrome wire wheels while the body is still in bits and the engine still siezed.

Phew now that ones over what next?

post-1019-0-21669600-1309201305_thumb.jpg

post-1019-0-75620400-1309201307_thumb.jpg

post-1019-0-46941500-1309201311_thumb.jpg

post-1019-0-21669600-1309201305_thumb.jpg

post-1019-0-75620400-1309201307_thumb.jpg

post-1019-0-46941500-1309201311_thumb.jpg

Looks gorgeous :D Well done - you can be rightly proud of your achievement :)

I'm glad I could be of some small help with the pictures. Interesting comment about the wipers - yes seen the problem you describe and replaced mine with ones that wiped well enough but wouln't stay attached to the wheel box spindles. Got screwed on wiper arms fitted now !

Edited by Norfolkjohn

Hi,

I am where you were 5/6 months ago and facing the daunting task of restoring my TR4A, and yes I had thought about the pretty bits before realising the total extent of this project.

Next job is removing a very stubborn body, apart from grinding back various welds that have been made directly to the frame and metal plates over the floorpan bolts, I was wondering when I get to it which part of the steering column is the best to undo to enable the body to be removed?

Any pointers you can think of that may help me avoid some of the pitfalls would be greatly appreciated as I am a complete novice but fully expect to end up a pro just not sure which type yet.

Your car looks amazing and gives me something to aim for and I am sure it has and is giving you a real sense of pride and achievement.

Cheers

Blaine

Thanks for the comments chaps, they were most appreciated.

Hi Blaine, Quite straightforward, undo the top clamp by the bulkhead in the engine bay and carefully pull the steering wheel out of the tube. This will allow you to move the lower colum out of the way. However it sounds like the whole lot will have to come out so remove the radiator which will give decent access to the lower uj where it joins the rack. Do not lose the bolt as it is high tensile, if you tap it, it "tings". Oh and be careful with the switches when removing the wheel and inner colum, the switches are expensive.

Keep at it and do not buy the shiny stuff!!

Looks very nice indeed - congrat's

I was hoping to MOT this week, but the gearbox may delay proceedings..

I think mine has been off the road since being re-imported back in 1991 - so 20 years also..

Pic's to follow when we're rolling.

I too started a complete novice, still am really, but most jobs can be done if you take them in isolation and as for the shiny stuff I say "buy, buy, buy"....

Looks super - very well done. See you at the International in Harrogate at the end of the month, I hope.

Just one question - how are you going to keep those seats clean?

Ian Cornish

Ian, I thought long and hard about that and hatched a cunning plan which would enable me to only ever have those seats in a clean and immaculate just fitted condition: I sold the car last week.

You have got to admit it was clever, now I will never have to worry about getting them dirty.

Am currently in the garage preparing my next car (TR5), black seems a good trim option as I might keep this one......