Nyloc vs Castle nuts and split pins

I'm just starting to evaluate the front suspension and the first thing that strikes me is how many castle nuts were used (most of mine have no split pins in them) but yet there are a few nyloc nuts too. Checking with the parts lists I see that they were both used by the factory. I wonder why they would choose to use a castle nut and split pin for some locations on the front suspension but nylocs in other locations a few inches away ?. Was this at a time when nylocs were in use but not trusted in all scenarios ?.

Stan

From a bodgers point of view :o a castellated nut can be re-used (even the split pin in an emergency) with complete safety.

Not so a nylok. These must never be re-used as the old thread in the nylon will not lock the second time around.

I appreciate this is not the reason that Triumph used different nuts but it helps us.

A nylok can be torqued/tightened down to a preset figure. Not always so with the castellated type (unles you are putting in a new split pin hole).

Castellated nuts & split pin are impervious to environmental/atmospheric condition. Whereas the Nyloc may suffer if contaminates affect the nylon.

Roger

I wonder why they would choose to use a castle nut and split pin for some locations on the front suspension but nylocs in other locations a few inches away ?. Was this at a time when nylocs were in use but not trusted in all scenarios ?.

Stan

I think that that the nuts were most likely supplied by the subcontractor as a generic assembly, e.g., a tie rod end and nylocs were cheaper than castle nuts to produce and to install and were being widely used in the auto industry at the time. Other subcontractors were (I assume) still tooled up for the old castle nuts. Although the castle nuts properly installed were pretty foolproof (I don't see any missing split pins on mine although I know I haven't looked as closely as you did) the nylocs seem to have please the engineers and held up pretty well in practice too. Tom

Hi Stan,

I noticed that on mine as well and to tell you the truth, I have a little bit of a concern.

I have found that on one of my trunnions, there are castellated nuts and split pins while the other is soley a large nyloc nut(not drilled for a split pin).

Having worked on my TR6, I am more accustomed, comfortable with the split pin as an added bit of safety.

Cheers,

Tush