The TR Now runs and it seems ok. A little down on power from my 3a but that had a rebuilt engine. The only problem I see is loads of blow by. The crancase breather and the oil filler are pushing lots of air out. The crankcase breather is dripping a little oil.

The compression test shows low compression. Only about 90 psi on all four. When I inject some oil to do a wet test the comp comes up about ten psi.

What do the experts think? Valves or rings or both. I really want to drive the car for the summer and rebuild this winter but if it's valves I could whip the head off and get them done relatively quickly. Parts such as new pistons and liners will take weeks.

Any opinions?

I have to say as well after a few high speed tests 80mph + the car feels really nice. Being a Sidescreen bloke at heart I'm pleasantly suprised! The TR4 feels way smoother and more planted. I'm looking forward to diving it more.

Thanks in advance

Paul

I'm afraid that it sounds as though you need to rebuild that engine. Blow by means worn bores and knackered pistons, but if the crank is alright a couple of weekends should get the engine rebuilt. If it were just valve guides, the car would smoke as you drove away from the bottom of a hill you'd freewheeled down.

Ash

Does sound like rings, so head off and check the bores

at the minimum. Maybe just rings but you wuld want to

check the bearings as well.

The early TR4s had only the single early-style breather.

This was not really adequate, even for an engine in good

condition, hence the change on later 4s to a vented rocker

cover.

AlanR

Paul, with worn valves, compression doesn't improve after adding oil to a cylinder.

Low compression in all 4 x pots indicates a tired engine.

At best it might only need rings, but it could be worn pistons/broken piston lands/ worn or scored liners.

You can only tell by popping the pistons.

While the head is off, check for worn valve guides and do a valve grind. Clean the rocker shaft of gunk which can block tappet oil supply. Renew the rear core plug in the head which always fails as soon as you put the engine back together. Check for any bent push rods.

Local TR4's were used here yesterday for the F1 driver's parade before the Oz Grand Prix and they looked great.

Regards,

Viv.

If your oil pressure is good, you could still get away with

leaving the rebuild until the winter. TR engines are pretty

robust and worn rings are not terminal. You can still enjoy

the car for the summer.

If the condition gets much worse, you'll know soon enough.

That's the way we used to drive them years ago, and we all

survived - not saying it's the belt 'n' braces way.

AlanR

Alan's right - 90psi was pretty typical for a lot of TRs in the days when they were just a cheap means of getting a 100mph sportscar.

If you were worried, you might have resorted to this 'bodgers friend' or something similar, just to get a few months more motoring:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_167711_langId_-1_categoryId_165750

Never used it myself (honest guv) but a lot of second-hand cars were treated to this just prior to selling!

[Not to mention Fuller's earth or cat litter in the transmission, etc - happy days, caveat emptor!]

I think I'll pull the head and have a look what's going on. I think if I go as far as pulling the pistons, I may as well put new ones in. I dont mind doing the job it's three week lead time for the parts that I'm worried about.

At home I'd just drive it but here in Canada I'd rather not break down miles from anywhere. The AA is not like it is in Blighty!!

Out of interest what sort of compression figures can I expect with new pistons and liners etc?

Thanks for the help chaps.

Paul

Hi Paul,

what's with the 3 week lead time for parts ? I sent a couple of packages from Wiltshire to BC last year, at different times, both DHL via Interparcel, one was there in 2 days the other in 3. As in picked up here Monday, delivered Wednesday and Thursday respectively.

Cheers,

Alec

Alec, I buy as many parts as I can from the UK for that very reason. The problem comes with higher value new parts it's a bit of a lottery as to whether you get nailed with tax or not. The suppliers here are either ridiculously slow or 20-30% more expensive. If I use Moss or Vic British etc from the States I get nailed at the border and taxes and shipping get silly. The closest supplier of Moss parts ships the stuff over the border in bulk and he sorts out all the duties and other fees. Trouble is he's slow. If you restore old British cars never move to BC!

Paul

In my experience, the best place to get all the parts for an engine rebuild is British Parts Northwest.

Cheers smokey I'll give them a try.

I took the head off tonight and found that the bolts were not all at the same torque and it was fitted with a copper head gasket. Starting to wonder if that was the problem.

More investigation needs I think!

Paul