Front Hub Felt Seals

Offering up the new felt seals to the hub I notice that the metal retainer ring does not fit snug to the back of the innermost bearing race as it shows in the workshop manual cross section. The ring is too large to go right into the recess in the hub. The recess is slightly stepped and the ring will sit in the uppermost part of the step but it's not held in place and would only be held when the hub is fixed to the stub axle. If this is right then I was intending to hold the felt seal in place using a couple of very smal blobs of hot melt glue so that it stays where it should until the hub is in place. Is this approach acceptable?

I hope that's intelligible.

Thanks for responding Chris. On my hub the recess that is large enough in diameter to accept the seal is not deep enough to grip it, less than 1mm in depth.

Chris, I really appreciate you taking time for this. Maybe the following pictures will illustrate the problem:

This shows the deep recess, which the seal will not fit into, and the very shallow step which it will fit into

felt1.jpg

This shows the seal in relation to the hub

felt2.jpg

This shows the seal sitting in the upper, very shallow recess

felt3.jpg

HA!

I do see the mistake!

You have the old felt seal backing plate still installed.

You have to pull out that metal part in front of the roller bearing...that is the old felt seal backing plate.

If that is removed you can install your new one....

Edited by MadMarx

Thanks Ade,

My main concern is that the metal part does not securely locate in the recess - it just rests there. If I pick the hub up it will fall off. It looks as though it should be designed to fit into the smaller recess flush up against the bearing race.

work around:

If you don't like to remove the backing plate from the hub remove the felt from the new one and glue it into the old backing plate.

Bazinga! Chris, you nailed it. I'll glue the new felt to the old carrier. The previous restorer had fitted a seal resting on the top of the old carrier which is why I thought that was how it should be. I don't think the car ever ran like that because it's been off the road since 1982 but it would sure have been difficult to adjust the hub bearings!

I owe you several beers. And thanks to all who responded.

Edited by peejay4A

I owe you several beers. And thanks to all who responded.

Come to the Nordschleife in September...I'll be there and wait for your beer!