Cubby box lock,O/D wiring/Flasher and relay unit

Hi All,

Wondering if I can get some help on a few late TR3A questions:

1. The cubby box is fitted (I figured out how the 90 degree bracket fits)but the lock is giving me problems. The cubby box is cut out to allow the locking arm to turn from the 9 o'clock position to the 12 o'clock position. However, the key CAN be withdrawn in the 9 o'clock position but NOT the 12 o'clock position. Am I making a basic error?

2. Replacing the underfelt in the car, I have two wires exiting from the transmission tunnel on the LHS. One is linked to the o/d switch but the other wire is disconnected. What should this wire connect to?

3. Fitting a new blanking joint and plate to the LHS steering column aperture, I notice a 1/2" hole in the centre of the joint. Does anyone know what this is for?

4. Would appreciate a good view of the correct installation of the flasher unit and relay for a late TR3A. Bill Piggots book just misses the flasher unit.

many thanks, Phil.

The locking arm on the back needs removing and rotating so it locks in the right position.The other wire exiting from the tunnel should go to the O/drive relay. The hole is for the vent flap drain pipe. Cant find a relevant picture at the moment but I suspect someone may have one.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart. On the lock, I have fiddled around with the locking arm, but as I see it, the locking action in the cubby box needs a 90 degree rotation in a clockwise direction although the lock wants to rotate 90 degrees in an anticlockwise direction to lock. I am baffled. Any more details on the o/d relay wiring? Does the vent drain run through a grommet or directly through the joint? Is it clipped in any way in the engine bay or discharge in a particular position?

Many thanks, Phil.

Thanks Stuart. On the lock, I have fiddled around with the locking arm, but as I see it, the locking action in the cubby box needs a 90 degree rotation in a clockwise direction although the lock wants to rotate 90 degrees in an anticlockwise direction to lock. I am baffled. Any more details on the o/d relay wiring? Does the vent drain run through a grommet or directly through the joint? Is it clipped in any way in the engine bay or discharge in a particular position?

Many thanks, Phil.

You may have to get the lock barrel out in that case and move it round. Wiring is Yellow and purple to C2 on the relay and the Yellow to the switch. The pipe goes through a grommet and then down pretty much as is although I tend to run them down just below chassis line.

Stuart.

Phil - On my 1958 TR3A (LHD), there is a plain rubber patch with a hole in the center for the hose to come through. That hose drains the water from the vent trough.

This would be similar for RHD late TR3As where a blanking plate would be needed to cover the hole over on the LHS. My hose has always extended this length, but then I don't drive much in the rain and if I do, I don't have the vent lid flipped up. Also make sure that the rubber seal in the vent trough is there and in good condition.

By 1960 the LHD TR3A firewall area had been significantly changed with the LHD/RHD portability removed. In this picture we can see the end of the plenum drain hose poking through the hole just before the heater pass through on the left hand side. What you cant see in this picture is the half inch hole adjacent to the steering column hole in the bulkhead which would be covered up by the big steering column grommet.

Holes.jpg

By 1960 the LHD TR3A firewall area had been significantly changed with the LHD/RHD portability removed. In this picture we can see the end of the plenum drain hose poking through the hole just before the heater pass through on the left hand side. What you cant see in this picture is the half inch hole adjacent to the steering column hole in the bulkhead which would be covered up by the big steering column grommet.

Holes.jpg

And that Stan on a right hand drive car can be used for the + cable up to the cut out aside the pedal box :D

Thanks Don and Stan for some great photos. Very helpful. Interesting working our which features are handed for RHS and LHS drive and which features are fixed. All relates to whether the feature is steering related, engine related or independent.

thanks,Phil.

Stan, Don, Stuart,

I notice you have a cross bracing rod across the inner wings on your cars. On the RHS it has the levers attaching to the carbs. On my car, I have a "stub" shaft connecting the carbs, no cross bracing rod, and nothing on the other side. Is my car incorrect or is this a later arrangement? Has anyone got suggestions? Thanks all.

I have attached two photos that show what the car looks like. Phil.

post-9361-0-27488400-1299847464_thumb.jpg

post-9361-0-33556100-1299847477_thumb.jpg

post-9361-0-27488400-1299847464_thumb.jpg

post-9361-0-33556100-1299847477_thumb.jpg

Doh! Is this the LHD linkage that isn't required on RHD cars? Sorry all for being so slow!

Yep got it in one ;)

Stuart.

Doh! Is this the LHD linkage that isn't required on RHD cars? Sorry all for being so slow!

Dont worry Phil, this catches me out every day as I'm starting at pictures that people post and I'm thinking there is something very wrong with that car. Then I remember it is probably right hand drive, the master cylinders have to be over there and the steering column is supposed to run under the carbs..

Stan

Stan - It's also much harder to remove the starter motor from a RHD TR. It is below the steering column over there.

Its not that easy on a LHD car either Don. It wont come out from the bottom and the only way to get it our through the top is to remove the carbs. Having the steering column in the way I imagine it must be even more of a pain. Yet another good reason to have a starting handle.

Stan

Its not that easy on a LHD car either Don. It wont come out from the bottom and the only way to get it our through the top is to remove the carbs. Having the steering column in the way I imagine it must be even more of a pain. Yet another good reason to have a starting handle.

Stan

Yep you L/hand drive boys have it easy, try changing a cushion drive on a starter when the car has a four branch and Webers ;)

Stuart.