Surrey Backlight

Hi Chaps,

Just stopped by from the 6 Forum as I suspect there is more knowledge about Surrey backlights here :D

I want to remove the glass from my backlight so that I can paint it. Looking for tips on how to do it without risk of breakage. Can you use the "push with feet" method (and if so, top or bottom) or is it safer to sacrifice the rubber. My rubber is in not bad condition but a bit hard.

Thanks in anticipation.

Ok, thanks guys you confirmed my 'safety first' instinct!

I remember reading Peter F's thread regarding installation of the glass with the new Moss rubber so I guess I will have that to look forward to B)

I bought a yet-to-be-fitted Moss f/g backlight from a member, glass already installed. The member related that the first attempts to install the glass had resulted in breakage, eventually it was sent back to Moss who, with difficulty, managed to fit a new glass..

Now, I have the unpainted backlight. Am I going to remove the glass? No way :blink:

When painting, I will lift up the lip of the seal by inserting string beneath it. The paint only needs to go a smidge under the seal. Then when the paint is dry I shall remove the string.

Ivor

Edited by 88V8

I bought a yet-to-be-fitted Moss f/g backlight from a member, glass already installed. The member related that the first attempts to install the glass had resulted in breakage, eventually it was sent back to Moss who, with difficulty, managed to fit a new glass..

Now, I have the unpainted backlight. Am I going to remove the glass? No way :blink:

When painting, I will lift up the lip of the seal by inserting string beneath it. The paint only needs to go a smidge under the seal. Then when the paint is dry I shall remove the string.

Ivor

Nice one Ivor, :rolleyes:

Have you decided on a colour as yet?

Cheers

Guy

Have you decided on a colour as yet?

Satin black to match the screen surround. Well, it will probably be a 'match' if you don't look at them both at the same time :P

Hope to do the job in the two-week gap between putting our house on the market and selling it :lol::unsure:

Ivor

Ah the old rope trick. An old 'paint' guy told me about that years ago, thanks for reminding me. I shall investigate whether my rubber is supple enough to do this.

If I go this route, I'll also remember to mask the rubber and glass, inside and out. :lol: