Looking for a overdrive box for a tr4

Hi c.j.,

Like many things in life a lot comes down to personal prefernce. I have O/D on my 4A and think it's great. I really like the flexibility of having, effectively, a 7 speed box. I would say it does also help fuel economy but only slightly, although I think the effect may be more noticeable if you are going a decent distance at fair speed i.e. on a motorway. The biggest benefit I find is simply that the car feels and sounds smoother with overdrive engaged - especially in 4th.

O/D was high on my wish list when I was looking for a car and I would be reluctant to be without it now.

Cheers,

JA

Hi CJ,

In short: if you have the opportunity then Do It!

It's a relatively simple 'bolt-on' job, if you want to retain your original gearbox number you can transplant an OD mainshaft into your existing gearbox, you get 7 speeds (a little better than a tr6?) and you increase resale value of the car.

Looking for a overdrive box on the tr4 or should i leave it as it is.any ideas because i have driven a tr6 before with overdrive on it but have never driven a tr4 before but i have been told to put one on.

Many Thanks

c.j :)

Having overdrive adds so much to the fun of driving TRs.

That's why they are so expensive.

Still worth it, though. You can justify the expense by telling

yourself it adds to the value and makes the car far more

desirable when you come to sell.

Even though none of us ever contemplate selling.

AlanR

OD adds about a £1000 to the value of a TR4/ 4a basically because that's what it seems to cost to do it properly (cost of the box, rebuilding OD unit, wiring etc etc).

The driving difference is priceless: There is nothing better that blatting along a flowing back road, just flicking in and out of 3rd/ OD 3rd. It's the stuff of dreams (go all misty eyed at this point...)

The column-mount switch is fantastic: You don't even have to let go of the wheel. (Although many will advocate Revington's "logic" controller)

Well worth the dosh.

Get one!

Ade

My first TR (a TR2) did not have overdrive. A year later (1964), I bought a TR2 with overdrive - and disc brakes.

A TR without overdrive is not truly a TR! Overdrive transforms the car and is worth whatever it costs.

Ian Cornish