Speedometer Cable Run

Can anyone assist with a discription of how the speedo cable runs from take off on the ovedrive to the speedo, does in run in the car or under the floor and enters re the bulkhead. The cable I have is approx 44inches long is this correct? . The take off from the overdrive is at right angles, again is this coorect. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.post-1140-0-72683600-1295287381_thumb.jpg

Alexander

post-1140-0-72683600-1295287381_thumb.jpg

Can anyone assist with a discription of how the speedo cable runs from take off on the ovedrive to the speedo, does in run in the car or under the floor and enters re the bulkhead. The cable I have is approx 44inches long is this correct? . The take off from the overdrive is at right angles, again is this coorect. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.post-1140-0-72683600-1295287381_thumb.jpg

Alexander

Alexander: Reading this should help.

http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/696850/Searchpage/10/Main/70742/Words/speedo+cable/Search/true/Re_Speedo_Cable_Routing_TR3#Post696850

Alexander, if your car is RHD there are two speedo cable options.

You can use an 84" cable. Mine loops across under the gearbox and comes up on the passenger's side. Then it goes across in front of the battery with a clip, as shown on the red car on the BCR forum link, but travelling the opposite way for RHD. A 96" cable also works in this configuration. The big loop under the gearbox needs to be cable tied up.

I've had a RHD TR3A with the speedo cable coming up on the driver's side (kept way from the accelerator linkages). I think it was a 69" cable, but over the years owners have had cables made up, so it can be confusing. If bringing it up on the driver's side, do a dummy run to check the cable length needed.

Your 44" cable is not speedo - it will be for a rev counter, although the RHD TR3A cable is 51".

Regards,

Viv.

Hi Alex.

You don't show your right angled drive. Put it in pointing forwards and downwards, then the cable runs inside the tunnel like mine.

Dave

I only have the drive shown in the photo, is this not correct. Do I need to change the drive I have.

Thanks again to all for the quick responce

Alexander

Mine aims downwards at about a 45 degree angle straight through the hole in the floor and is covered by a black rubber boot secured to the tunnel with 2 screws and 3 screws to the floor into spire nuts.

Edit - The handbrake lever arm is hidden under the carpet. No I don't drive my TR with it like that !

Edited by Don Elliott

Mine aims downwards at about a 45 degree angle straight through the hole in the floor and is covered by a black rubber boot secured to the tunnel with 2 screws and 3 screws to the floor into spire nuts.

Edit - The handbrake lever arm is hidden under the carpet. No I don't drive my TR with it like that !

Hi Don, that was a world record for a reply, can't see to clearly on your photo if I should have a hole in my floor pan, that the rubber boot would cover.

Alex

Alexander, the pic you posted is the original way the speedo cable left the O/D, as Don has explained. The tranny tunnel and floor pan are shaped for the cable to exit without needing an extra hole.

Dave mentioned a right angle drive, which was introduced for the TR4A. This part attaches to the O/D and turns the speedo cable so it runs parallel to the gearbox.

It's a pricey little beast, but it removes the first loop in the speedo cable, thus allowing the use of a shorter cable.

Regards,

Viv.

Alexander, the pic you posted is the original way the speedo cable left the O/D, as Don has explained. The tranny tunnel and floor pan are shaped for the cable to exit without needing an extra hole.

Dave mentioned a right angle drive, which was introduced for the TR4A. This part attaches to the O/D and turns the speedo cable so it runs parallel to the gearbox.

It's a pricey little beast, but it removes the first loop in the speedo cable, thus allowing the use of a shorter cable.

Regards,

Viv.

Thanks Viv all is clear now, I now know what I need to buy

Alexander