Rocker shaft/ rocker oil feed

Hi All,

When I bought my 1959 TR3A it came with an unused braided stainless steel rocker shaft/rocker oil feed pipe, which is marketed by Moss. The pipe seems simple enough to fit and I am sure no other parts would suffer oil feed depletion, but I am wondering if it is essential on a road going car. It does introduce another potential leak path (banjos...bah!) but I wondered whether the rocker shaft / rocker wear had been seen on racers where the engine is spending relatively long periods at high engine speeds. Any members got any experience of this kit?

Hi All,

When I bought my 1959 TR3A it came with an unused braided stainless steel rocker shaft/rocker oil feed pipe, which is marketed by Moss. The pipe seems simple enough to fit and I am sure no other parts would suffer oil feed depletion, but I am wondering if it is essential on a road going car. It does introduce another potential leak path (banjos...bah!) but I wondered whether the rocker shaft / rocker wear had been seen on racers where the engine is spending relatively long periods at high engine speeds. Any members got any experience of this kit?

I agree with Stuart. I fitted one for a while, but all it did was make the exhaust smoke - suggesting worn valve guides. Car runs perfectly well without it and doesn't smoke significantly, or burn much oil.

Clive

If you compare a rocker shaft cost against a new crankshaft its no contest, keep the oil at the crank.

Thanks for the unanimous feed back. It sounds like it is one to leave in the packing! Curious why someone felt a need to create the kit in the first place.

Happy New Year to all TR owners.

Phil.

Phil,

Why did people market these things?

I don't know about TR4s. Do they have the same arrangement to take oil up to the rocker shaft as the Spitfire and six cylinder engines?

There is a fine drilling from the rear camshaft bearing, that goes through a dog-leg to take it to the rear rocker pillar. The horizontal drilling, at the corner of the head, is sealed by a bolt, that can easily be removed and replaced by a banjo from an external supply.

Kas Kastner, who managed racing TR4s, 5s and 6s, and Spitfires in the USA, designed the Kastner 'Octopus' to overcome an oil supply problem to the front main bearing on the latter engines. Although that was inspired and skilled engineering, a monkey could do the external head. Someone, mimicking the 'Octopus', made up a T-piece, Aeroquip hose and banjo kit to connect the oil pressure port to the head and sold it as 'perfomance kit'. Any fool could fit it, many did, and every Triumph supplier marketed it.

In fact, I think like the Octopus, it needs to have a restrictor to prevent all the oil supply being diverted up into the head, depriving the mains of lubrication. I learnt this the hard way! Don't have one now, no probs. It might be required for needle roller rockers (very oil-greedy) esp. if they are high ratio, but should never be fitted to a used, let alone worn, rocker shaft, too much leakage.

JOhn

Phil,

Why did people market these things?

I don't know about TR4s. Do they have the same arrangement to take oil up to the rocker shaft as the Spitfire and six cylinder engines?

There is a fine drilling from the rear camshaft bearing, that goes through a dog-leg to take it to the rear rocker pillar. The horizontal drilling, at the corner of the head, is sealed by a bolt, that can easily be removed and replaced by a banjo from an external supply.

Kas Kastner, who managed racing TR4s, 5s and 6s, and Spitfires in the USA, designed the Kastner 'Octopus' to overcome an oil supply problem to the front main bearing on the latter engines. Although that was inspired and skilled engineering, a monkey could do the external head. Someone, mimicking the 'Octopus', made up a T-piece, Aeroquip hose and banjo kit to connect the oil pressure port to the head and sold it as 'perfomance kit'. Any fool could fit it, many did, and every Triumph supplier marketed it.

In fact, I think like the Octopus, it needs to have a restrictor to prevent all the oil supply being diverted up into the head, depriving the mains of lubrication. I learnt this the hard way! Don't have one now, no probs. It might be required for needle roller rockers (very oil-greedy) esp. if they are high ratio, but should never be fitted to a used, let alone worn, rocker shaft, too much leakage.

JOhn

Thanks John! It sounds as though this kit is very "under" engineered and provides no benefit but could even be harmful. It sounds as though oil flow rates and oil pressure changes have not been fully considered. I will definitely not be fitting this kit!

Appreciate the feedback.

Phil.