TR2 Muffler - 18 inch

Hi John and others following the 18 inch TR-2 silencer project:

Well, the 18 inch Proex is installed, and it sounds great! A definite uptick in the "rort" and bark as it goes through 2500 to 3000 rpm. It is a deeper note as well, and it just growls with a bit more muscle behind it. I love it, and it is not so much louder that it draws any more attention than it already did. It also simplifies things under the chassis and is a cleaner fit as the system and bracketry was designed with the 18 inch in mind. I used the TR-4 bracket near the gearbox mounting as recommended. I couldn't find the two-piece early TR-2 bracket, so I made a concession to originality and went with the better engineered TR-4 bracket.

Aloha

Dan

Now try it with full weather equipment or worse still hardtop + sidescreens. At motorway speeds the drone is irritating to say the least - after long runs you feel like you have been beaten with a stick.

Which is why, in 1974 when I used to commute 100 miles along a motorway in my TR2, I went to the 3A arrangement with the large front silencer and secondary rear.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
Guest ntc

Now try it with full wether equipment or worse still hardtop + sidescreens. At motorway speeds the drone is irritating to say the least - after long runs you feel like you have been beaten with a stick.

Which is why, in 1974 when I used to commute 100 miles along a motorway in my TR2, I went to the 3A arrangement with the large front silencer and secondary rear.

Peter W

+1 would never fit a single box again

completely forgot that i already uploaded a short clip on youtube where you can hear the sound my single box setup has.

Forget the people in the clip... :huh:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KhIaVfHCxnp_vvdXdURqRFBldQDe3MQKW7iyttQHt8w?feat=directlink (sorry about the tick of the waterpump..)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/nthTZ6Imqm4

Edited by EdwinTiben

+1 , fitted the single box when I restored/rebuilt the car, ts1067 in 2012. Sounded fantastic to start with, but get longer cruising runs on French and Italian motorways and the drone gets very wearing, as did the drone from wifey about it!!.......

Now gone to 3a set up using twin boxes.

• 2 weeks later...

i just use the small, 12 inch silencer with straight pipe where the larger box normally sits....cheap, and makes the proper roar, esp when cold , particlarly with my copper tailpipe ! However, when driven gently through towns at 2000rpm ish, it is no louder than any TR...Bill P.