Dash tops & crash pads.....

I've read lots of posts about this subject and the different suppliers and quality but does anyone have experience of the products supplied by The Roadster Factory?

I've got to fit a complete set of new trim so am keen to get it all from the same source to try and get it matching each other - a set from TRF is about £230 which seems a lot more than some of the suppliers in the UK but is it worth it?

My link

Hopefully this link will work - and any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

John

Not sure about the quality of the TRF ones but I have found the TR Shop ones to be the best though the lower passenger side one with the grab handle can be problematical in length depending on the type of centre switch panel you have. Dont bother with the Moss ones.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart,

I've got an original early TR4 centre switch panel but no TR4 dash bracket although it did come with a reasonable quality TR4A dash bracket which I prefer the look of so there may be a bit of non orignal but sensible upgrading to be done with that entire area!

John

I used a TR Shop upper crash pad and have been very pleased with it. Easy to fit and good quality, the only negative is that when you fix down the demisting vents it buckles the vinyl - it's not that noticable though. As for the lower crash pads, only original is acceptable in my opinion - the TR4A ones are too short and look awful. Moss told me that they had a new supplier and had solved the problem and few months back...???

John, I have this thought. I don't know about the TR4A crashpads, but the TR4 has a "handle" formed in the left one. Does TRF sell the right hand drive versions or only for left hand drive? This might be a stumbling block for you if your car is RHD.

Rod

Good point Gents...thought that was too easy!!

Back to plan A ..whatever that was

:unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I just fitted the Moss 'moulded black foam' type crash pads. They are a lot more compliant than the original-style yellow-foam-filled vinyl type. As others mentioned, the lower pads are too short by about 5mm each...this means that the switch plinth doesnt sit in the right place. Also the captive screws in the back of the lower pads are not well captivated & start to spin easily. The upper pad's flexibility means it doesnt lay in the right place especially above the vents...you need to rely on the glue to pull things into place.

altogether underwhelmed,

Hi Gary,

Based on the comments above it looks like I'll be going with a complete set from the TR shop but I'm putting the interior trim on hold for a moment so that I can get on with the running gear. When I get back to the dash I'll post some pictures in my longest restoration topic but it's looking like a non original configuration although broadly in keeping - veneer dash and a recovered TR4A dash bracket instead of an orinal TR4....I'm more inclined towards what looks good and works well as opposed to following the original factory spec...... Although it is really nice to see the original spec cars as well! decisions, decisions! ;)

John

Hi Gary,

Based on the comments above it looks like I'll be going with a complete set from the TR shop but I'm putting the interior trim on hold for a moment so that I can get on with the running gear. When I get back to the dash I'll post some pictures in my longest restoration topic but it's looking like a non original configuration although broadly in keeping - veneer dash and a recovered TR4A dash bracket instead of an orinal TR4....I'm more inclined towards what looks good and works well as opposed to following the original factory spec...... Although it is really nice to see the original spec cars as well! decisions, decisions! ;)

John

If your not hugely concerned about originality you could go with a new TR5 lower left crash pad. It doesnt have the grab handle but finishes the dash nicely. I have it on my 4a as when I did it in the early 90`s nothing else was available.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart - I may have to take a look at some of these options in the flesh - I think the main thing for me is that all the crash pads / dashtop / switch plinth & dash support appear of the same construction/grain/colour so that the end product looks like a complete original set as opposed to bits and pieces from different sources...hope that makes sense! :wacko:

Thanks Stuart - I may have to take a look at some of these options in the flesh - I think the main thing for me is that all the crash pads / dashtop / switch plinth & dash support appear of the same construction/grain/colour so that the end product looks like a complete original set as opposed to bits and pieces from different sources...hope that makes sense! :wacko:

Absolutely. The TR Shop ones are all the same pattern and construction so as a set they look nice.

Stuart.