To pin or not to pin

The newly skimmed flywheel and new ring gear are now installed. Clutch plate and cover next. Should I roll pin the release fork to the clutch cross shaft? I'll be using a hardened taper pin and lockwire.

The newly skimmed flywheel and new ring gear are now installed. Clutch plate and cover next. Should I roll pin the release fork to the clutch cross shaft? I'll be using a hardened taper pin and lockwire.

That depends on the quality of the pin and if you lapped it in

Pete

When I restored my TR6 I did not lap the pin in, it proved a big mistake and after 3000 miles the gearbox was back out to replace the pin!!

This time I brought a good quality pin from TR enterprises and lapped it in, new lock wire then I drilled and reamed a 4mm hole through the fork and cross shaft and inserted a roll pin

No issues since 7000miles on.

So to answer your question in my opinion add the roll pin

Cheers Phil

Pete

When I restored my TR6 I did not lap the pin in, it proved a big mistake and after 3000 miles the gearbox was back out to replace the pin!!

This time I brought a good quality pin from TR enterprises and lapped it in, new lock wire then I drilled and reamed a 4mm hole through the fork and cross shaft and inserted a roll pin

No issues since 7000miles on.

So to answer your question in my opinion add the roll pin

Cheers Phil

Weld it to the shaft...unless you enjoy replacing pins :P

john

Tricky replacing the cross shaft bearings if you've welded it though :)

So how easy is it to knock in and remove a roll pin when the assembly is in the bell housing? I'm leaning towards an H/T nut and bolt through the fork/shaft as there's a nicely ground flat part on the fork.

Carpe diem.

Taper pin lapped and fettled so that it tightens fully. Then a 5.6mm roll pin through the cast boss on the release fork. Now if I can find out how to install the double shaft bearings I might be able to join gearbox to engine.

Hi

Drill it,bolt it,wire it,forget it!

Tonyl