silly question time

hi,i know this is a daft question but if the lever is up is the overdrive in or out??

im asking this as have just got this car and i have heard that if reverse is selected with o/d in it could wreck it,also while testing on a short drive it was hard to tell if it was working or not.

cheers steve.

hi,i know this is a daft question but if the lever is up is the overdrive in or out??

im asking this as have just got this car and i have heard that if reverse is selected with o/d in it could wreck it,also while testing on a short drive it was hard to tell if it was working or not.

cheers steve.

Hi Steve,

Switch up is Overdrive off and down is on.

There is a mod that can be fitted , Overdrive Logic Device, switches the overdrive off automatical as you go

through neutral, there will be more on it if you try a search

Heres one such device, which is what i have fitted.

http://www.revingtontr.com/shop/product_display.asp?productid=rtr1296nk

Cheers

Guy

Like electrical switches, up is off.

Except in the US and Canada :D

Seriously though Steve, there are interlock switches on top of the gearbox that should prevent the O/D from engaging in reverse and first (also second if it's a J type O/D)

Edited by peejay4A

Hi Steve,

to tell if the O/D is coming in select 3rd gear, ignition on (engine off), O/D switch down - did you hear a clunk when selecting the O/D.

yes = good :)

No = Bad :angry:

If yes then go for a test drive apprx 50/60mph select O/D and the revs should drop by 400/500.

Revs dropping = good :)

Revs not dropping = bad :angry:

Roger

Edited by RogerH

..and you should see the ammeter needle kick slightly towards the negative because the O/D solenoid draws quite a bit of current when it pulls in, dropping to a holding current shortly after.

Edited by peejay4A

cheers steve.

Steve if you cannot feel it :o It is not working :(

On LHD cars the o/d switch in fact points upwards when the o/d is engaged ;) this is clearly indicated in my glove box manual (written in french for a car sold in the G.D. of Luxemburg). The switch has 3 solder points at the back, so it can be modified with ease.

New switches are mess, the plastic cam inside brakes in no time :(

In the mean time I modified my 6 to a logic device from Revington (thank you David F.) and I'm more than happy with it. Should have been a standard fitting with the o/d :)

Hi Steve,

to tell if the O/D is coming in select 3rd gear, ignition on (engine off), O/D switch down - did you hear a clunk when selecting the O/D.

yes = good :)

No = Bad :angry:

If yes then go for a test drive apprx 50/60mph select O/D and the revs should drop by 400/500.

Revs dropping = good :)

Revs not dropping = bad :angry:

Roger

Hi Roger, best thread reply today, brilliant! :D