Lucas Reproduction Headlamps

Frank - I bought two PL 7" lamps in 1963 for $16.00 for the pair. I used them until about 7-8 years ago when one of the bullet reflectors inside one of the lamps became corroded and it fell down to the bottom inside. From 1992 till about 7-8 years ago, I lost part of a point at TRA because this style PL 7" did not exist when our TR3As left the factory.

What is correct if you really want to be exact is to buy the 7" lamps with the black dot in the center. This dot is about 3/8" in diameter.

But then TRA will (or may) dock you part of a point because the original lamps with that black dot also had the word "LUCAS" printed across the dot. So if you buy 2 new repro lamps with the small black dot, they will not have the word "LUCAS" because our usual suppliers will tell you that the repro company cannot come to an agreement with Lucas as the name is a copywrite name held by Lucas.

Looking for two good original lamps with the word across the back dot is the only way to please TRA. BTW, they never docked me any points because of the halogen replacements that I bought at my local auto parts store about 7-8 years ago.

Go figure !

Good luck looking for two needles in a hay stack.

Here is a photo from 1995 along the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia where you can see the PL 7" that I had on my 1958 TR3A back then. BTW, the Cabot Trail is named after the man who discovered Newfoundland for England. His real name was Giovanni Cabotto and he sailed from Bristol a few years after his good friend Christopher Columbus "discovered the New World". They both were from Genoa, Italy.

They just found different venture capital investors to support them.

Now you know the rest of both stories.

Frank,

It's a bit complicated in my opinion, those P700 lamps were standard on TR3's from 1956 for the UK market in particular and outside the UK as well.

Although some export cars were fitted with F700 (without tripods) lamps which had something to do with local regulations in that era.

There are also some suspects that for certain countries (US) sealed beams were used........

So Frank, beware before you take any definitive decision !

Best regards - Raymond

Raymond - I don't know the Lucas name for the lamp with the small dot but here is a photo of a TR2 with these lamps and the name Lucas across the small dot. This TR2 (circa TS 6000 L) is still owned by the original owner here in the Montreal area. Maybe this is the P-700 lamp. The lamp that Frank is asking about is the PL-700 lamp which has a heraldic-looking crest in the center instead of the small black dot. I have been told that the PL-700 was only available in 1963 and afterwards. Therefore in my estimation, if this is true, then the PL-700 could not have been shipped on a TR2, a TR3 or a TR3A.

Frank, I believe that after TR3A TS32585, export cars to Canada and the USA had sealed beam headlights, due to evolving regulations. The Lucas tripods that dimmed to nothing at traffic lights had become banned.

About 15 years back a local chap spent a year in the US clearing out wrecker's yards of TR3A's. About every 3 months some 4 or 5 LHD cars would arrive and I can't recall seeing any with tripods. They seemed to be original cars but just worn out, and were sold as projects.

If you have your original headlight loom, that will tell. Early tripod bulbs had a twin connector circular metal plug, earthed on the edge. Sealed beams used a three pin connector.

Regards,

Viv.

Guest colinTR2

Frank

I don't think there is such a thing as standard for the tripod light. I obtained one from a scrap yard in the early '70s, I think from a Rover of some sort. This had the Lucas name central on the tripod, set back from the glass. Eventually I found an exact match repro at the International for around £60-70.

There are different names on the central point, P700, Lucas and nothing, just black, to name three options. Also the centre can be immediately behind the glass, and set back from the glass.

So buy what you think looks OK. Also don't use the original bulbs which were 45/55 watts. The 45 on dip really is a candle. Halogens are available. Originals have the early fitting which is a much bigger diameter than later 55/65 types, there is a ref number but I don't know it.

best of luck

Colin

Frank

I don't think there is such a thing as standard for the tripod light. I obtained one from a scrap yard in the early '70s, I think from a Rover of some sort. This had the Lucas name central on the tripod, set back from the glass. Eventually I found an exact match repro at the International for around £60-70.

There are different names on the central point, P700, Lucas and nothing, just black, to name three options. Also the centre can be immediately behind the glass, and set back from the glass.

So buy what you think looks OK. Also don't use the original bulbs which were 45/55 watts. The 45 on dip really is a candle. Halogens are available. Originals have the early fitting which is a much bigger diameter than later 55/65 types, there is a ref number but I don't know it.

best of luck

Colin

Hi There, I was exceedingly lucky to find a pair of new real NOS tripod lamps,( with lucas in the middle) ready to fit , bar the outer chrome rims, on Ebay, not dear at all, but now would like to buy halogen bulbs

to fit the BPF ? hole in the rear of the reflector. Can anyone suggest whEre I might buy these, and what sort of watt is safe for a standard loom without a relay, or should I consider a relay with

higher wattages?. I'm about to go onto a thin pulley dynamo based system, as I have gone rack and pinion. I keep worrying though that I should have bought and alternator! However the car came with two new C40 dynamos.

Its all in bits still of course. Still on the look out for a drivers side rear wing, at a reasonable price, to complete the set of panels.

Heard varying reports about the repro tripods. They do look good, but what about effectiveness at night?

Regards

BillG

My first TR was a 1960 3A, it had the P700 lights. We'd fitted halogen bulbs but it did not make a huge difference so I tossed them for sealed beams. I was more interested in driving the car then originality and the old lamps just could not cut it against modern cars with their brighter lights.

My first TR was a 1960 3A, it had the P700 lights. We'd fitted halogen bulbs but it did not make a huge difference so I tossed them for sealed beams. I was more interested in driving the car then originality and the old lamps just could not cut it against modern cars with their brighter lights.

Thanks for all of the great comments!

Hi There, I was exceedingly lucky to find a pair of new real NOS tripod lamps,( with lucas in the middle) ready to fit , bar the outer chrome rims, on Ebay, not dear at all, but now would like to buy halogen bulbs

to fit the BPF ? hole in the rear of the reflector. Can anyone suggest whEre I might buy these, and what sort of watt is safe for a standard loom without a relay, or should I consider a relay with

higher wattages?. I'm about to go onto a thin pulley dynamo based system, as I have gone rack and pinion. I keep worrying though that I should have bought and alternator! However the car came with two new C40 dynamos.

Its all in bits still of course. Still on the look out for a drivers side rear wing, at a reasonable price, to complete the set of panels.

Heard varying reports about the repro tripods. They do look good, but what about effectiveness at night?

Regards

BillG

Hi Bill

You can get a range of Halogen bulbs to fit BPF fittings and many other from:

Paul Goff, www.norbsa02.freeuk.com

Best regards

Clive