Aw! Not open heart surgery again Mum!!

Even after shining the inside of the clutch slave cylinder, beefing up the return spring, the clutch is still slipping when I drive. (The stall test in the garage has been deemed to be not worth two bob. Sorry about that.)

All the options that avoid ripping the tunnel off and removing the gearbox to get at the clutch plate are now exhausted.

Last time the gearbox went in it was just a bare chassis, looking forward to learning how to do it with all the gubbins in place.

Gawd I love this car. What on earth did I do with my time before I got it???? Sorry about the schnozz, it will not be picked so clean for a while.

The O/D now works beautifully since I got the lever that does all the good stuff to grip its shaft. Flicking the lever gives the choice of a high rev slip or a low rev slip.

I'll get out of your way now.

LJ,

what has a shiney slave cyclinder and beefy spring got to do with slipping clutch?

Is the clutch slipping when you put your foot down in 3rd or 4th. Or is it difficult to engage gears?

Confussed of London

Roger

There were signs that the slave's piston might not be getting back to the 'rest' position when the pedal was released. Which to my mind could take a bit of pressure off the springs ramming the clutch against the flywheel. A possible reason for my clutch slipping.

Engaging gears isn't a problem, the clutch releases like a champion, it is the grippey bit that isn't up to scratch.

Hi LJ,

with the clutch disengaged is the there a small amount of play at the slave cylinder end.

Have you got an excess of oil dripping from the G/B housing.

Roger

Roger,

1. yep.

2. yep, but inside it is still up to the filler hole.

The bullet now has my teeth marks in it.

New clutch plate winging its way from Moss Bros along with a few extra bits, such as new slave cylinder.

By the end of this current exercise I think I'll be qualified for Madmarx's pit crew (2nd reserve).

Recommend, if you can, buying shares in Moss bros, I'm keeping them well and truly in the black, despite the exchange rate which favours us.

I had a similar problem with my wife's TR6 (before it was stolen), the more you used the clutch as in a traffic jam, ie continually dipping the clutch pedal, the more it slipped. But it would gradually settle back to not slipping when driving 'normally'. I tried quite a few things to sort it but eventually gave up and put it down to the silicone brake fluid that was in the system! What have you got in yours?

Cheers John

I had a similar problem with my wife's TR6 (before it was stolen), the more you used the clutch as in a traffic jam, ie continually dipping the clutch pedal, the more it slipped. But it would gradually settle back to not slipping when driving 'normally'. I tried quite a few things to sort it but eventually gave up and put it down to the silicone brake fluid that was in the system! What have you got in yours?

Cheers John

Dot 3 standard hydraulic fluid.

(Tunnel gutted today. {getting better at at it each time} gearbox out tomorrow perhaps.)

Dot 3 standard hydraulic fluid.

(Tunnel gutted today. {getting better at at it each time} gearbox out tomorrow perhaps.)

Better pray it's not the engine rear oil seal leaking :unsure: - rather you then me.

Edited by BrianC