TR-2 Speedometer Cable

Hello:

I have had a bothersome bout of the "jumpy speedometer needle" for several years now. I have a NOS speedo cable for a non-overdrive gearbox, but I am wondering if it will fit with my overdrive gearbox. My TR-2 is left hand drive, if that matters. Also, is lubrication of the existing cable likely to make any difference? If so, do I just disconnect one end and drizzle some oil down the cable?

Thanks

Dan

Hello:

I have had a bothersome bout of the "jumpy speedometer needle" for several years now. I have a NOS speedo cable for a non-overdrive gearbox, but I am wondering if it will fit with my overdrive gearbox. My TR-2 is left hand drive, if that matters. Also, is lubrication of the existing cable likely to make any difference? If so, do I just disconnect one end and drizzle some oil down the cable?

Thanks

Dan

I think it is too short Dan, had it been one for an overdrive box a little oil would probably have done the trick, I dont think new ones are so expensive, that would eliminate your wandering needle.

Stuart would know for certain.

If your cable is 78" long then it will fit. Be careful when oiling cable as it will travel up and not do the speedo any good. If it is causing needle fluctuation then it may have too tight bends in it. Run as big a curve as possible.

Stuart

Dan, the original speedo cable for a LHD TR2 with O/D was part 400097, but its length isn't quoted in the factory spares manual. It's not been available as a repro part.

After TR3 TS10546, the cable changed to part 504609, and was 96" for LHD O/D cars. (outer was 504609/0 - inner was 504609/1)

The Roadster Factory in PA has repro 504609 speedo cables in grey to match the originals. They aren't expensive, so it might be best to get a complete new cable.

If the needle is still jumpy, then the speedometer will probably need cleaning and lubing.

Regards,

Viv.

As a 'repro-cynic', I have heard and read too many tales of problems with 'new' (i.e. repro) speedo and tacho cables, including incorrect length (i.e. inner too long or too short) and poorly made ends (e.g. not square). I would always opt for a genuine NOS or second-hand cable or even put an old inner into a serviceable outer or vice versa. There are plenty of these still available at autojumbles and most of us have a few old spares around - although Sod's law says whatever your mates have will be the wrong ones for your car.

Edited by BrianC

[What's the matter with this editor, can't add to or amend previous post - where's my TR hammer?!]

Also, I suspect you should use graphite to lubricate the inner cable, rather than oil (but I have been known to be wrong - frequently!)

Edited by BrianC