BARB Model

Ok my first opportunity to make myself look stupid.i am going to look at a 1970 TR6 tomorrow andit is advertised as a BARB model.Cant find much on this what is it and what do I look for.

cheers

everybody sorry for being a numpty.

could be mispelt for CARB model.

if so chasis number should start cc and would be ex usa import.

either way check for rust rust and rust.

richard

could be mispelt for CARB model.

if so chasis number should start cc and would be ex usa import.

either way check for rust rust and rust.

richard

Is it one of the less desirable models?. He is wanting £9k and as I dont yet know the derivatives, the prices seem to go from £6k to £20+k.

Is it one of the less desirable models?. He is wanting £9k and as I dont yet know the derivatives, the prices seem to go from £6k to £20+k.

Is it a less desirable model? No. Apart from the aspergers wing of the TR appreciation society. To anyone who looks at such things logically then it is the obvious route to go.

" Apart from the aspergers wing of the TR appreciation society " . . . . .

You mean there are TR nuts who aren't Aspergic ? :blink:

Jesting apart, logic is an infinitely debatable concept . . . . depending through which door of perception one is viewing. There is a reasonable argument that the whole point of the TR6 is the PI suffix. That's not to suggest that the PI system is or ever was the be all and end all, far from it - but from a UK perspective c1970, PI was the raison d'être for buying a new TR. Forty years on, the benefit of four decades of hindsight, it's easy to lose sight of the original appeal.

In the late 70s I had a visit from an American TR6 owner, we went out for a blast in my TR6PI. His response, politely translated, was to the effect that Triumph obviously thought that damn Yankees were a bunch of milksops, as they'd been given the tom cat minus balls, teeth and claws. A police traffic sergeant chum of mine summed up the change from his 2.5PI to 2500S traffic car as like gaining a wife and losing a mistress. They both had a point.

Cheers,

Alec

Ok my first opportunity to make myself look stupid.i am going to look at a 1970 TR6 tomorrow andit is advertised as a BARB model.Cant find much on this what is it and what do I look for.

cheers

everybody sorry for being a numpty.

Buying a TR and not a TR Register member yet - Why not join before you buy? A wealth of experience and support readily available locally, and may save you a costly error of judgement.

Cheers

Ian

John,

Thats not a bad budget. As others have said, it's ALL about condition. Even if the car needs a new engine or gearbox, that can be peanuts compared to major bodywork jobs.

Take a TR6 register member with you if poss. If the condition is truly excellent then (personally) I wouldn't worry too much about whether it's a CC, CP or CR model. Those in the know may prefer the CP cars, but it'll be a whole lot of fun whichever model you get.

Best of luck

Simon

ps which area are you/the car in? you may find a register member prepared to take a look with you.