electrics help!

Hi everyone

In some serious trouble here.

TR4 was going well until we stopped to fill with petrol. Then when I went to start the car it was completely dead. No ignition light, no lights, no anything. Battery seems ok and sparks when p and n touch, earth is ok. No fuses have blown.

Got the aa to take us to a local garage and after fiddling with the voltage regulator the guy got the lights to work, and the ignition light to come on. But the starter will not start from the key, and when started from the solenoid the car will not run.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

By the way, we are in Slovenia (yes, seriously).......and my Slovenian is actually better than their English....

Thanks in advance for replies

Kevin

Can you try another battery on it? You are describing a modern battery failure mode. Otherwise it sounds like a case of tracking an intermittent connection. I'm not familiar with the TR4 but typically the big battery leads go to the starter motor solenoid and from there a lighter cable supplies all the other electrics, so if this is intermittent, you would be able to use the starter from the solenoid but there would be no ignition.

Best of luck.

Ash

ignition switch

fuse box - corroded terminals

earth points

Roger

Hope you are not still there, if so try cleaning also the battery posts! Easy to foget them

Mike

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. They were appreciated.

Seems that the feed from the battery to the ignition switch was dead-still dont know why but I ran a new cable directly from the battery to the switch. Now the car appears to work perfectly.

Took me about an hour to sort it out after the Slovenian 'mechanics' had it for a day and a half.

Now made it to Croatia so lets hope we get back!

Regards

Kevin