ok i have a tr2 and im looking for some info here are some photos

the com # is ts179L

there is a # by the battery the reads eb182

it has aluminum hood and trunk comer it is a left hand drive

my grand father got it in Bern Switzerland

if there anything anyone can tell me please do

i can send photos if needed

Hi reckthor,

Welcome to the Forum - and with a very early TR2.

The EB 192 (body number) is consistent with the TS 179 L

so the body is original.

Aluminium hoods (bonnets) were fitted to the very early

TR2s, so that is original (and a very nice detail to have).

Do you mean aluminium boot lid?

You can get an official Trace showing the original date

of build and specification through the TR Register - Bill

Piggott.

Details of cost and how to apply are in the TR Register

newsletters.

Would like to see some photos - I will PM you with my

email address.

AlanR

Hi Reckthor, and welcome to the Forum. There were 305 TR2s were made in 1953, so yours is a 1953 car. The very first TR2 was made on 22.07.53. The aluminium bonnets (hoods) were deleted around February 1954 so yours would be correct. The early cars like yours had an aluminium bonnet and aluminium spare wheel cover, but I don't think they had an aluminium boot lid originally. The 'L' of the commission number stands for Left hand drive, so that seems correct as well. If there was an 'O' after the 'L' that would mean the car had overdrive originally, so the fact that yours doesn't have the 'L' means that originally it was a non overdrive car. If the engiune is original the engine number, begining TS... should be close to the commission number but possibly a slightly higher number. The trace that you can obtain through the TR Register mentionned by Alan above does not give the engine number. Early TR2 were painted Ice Blue, Geranium, Olive yellow, Pearl white, and Black. Is your's still one of these colours ?

Best of luck with the car. You are very fortunate to have such an early one.

ok i have a tr2 and im looking for some info here are some photos

the com # is ts179L

there is a # by the battery the reads eb182

it has aluminum hood and trunk comer it is a left hand drive

my grand father got it in Bern Switzerland

if there anything anyone can tell me please do

i can send photos if needed

Hi Reckthor.

You will get all the help you need through this forum and the Register for such an early TR2, we are all very interested in such a vintage model and would do anything we can to help you restore it and return it to the road.

Do you live in Switzerland as well? as there has been much talk on the forum recently about trips to the Stelvio pass and those nearby, and I myself intend to go there next year, but from Southern Spain where I am, it is a long way to get there but as we all say "NO WHERE IS FAR IN A TR". Please keep us all informed on your decisions and progress, and let's have those pictures you say you have.

Dave

Welcome to the forum. Thats a very nice car and definitely needs to be put back on the road. Surprising how many early cars are still around and still turning up.

Stuart.

Yes, another early TR2 turns up...amazing what is still out there...

As a correction to Trevor, my build traces DO usually record the enging no for very early cars...the first few hundred, so he may be lucky...Also a very few very early cars did have aluminium boot lids and the first 600 or so cars had aluminium spare wheel doors...Bill Piggott

Hi Guys

I was very interested to see that his car has a KmH speedo which I and a lot of us other continental owners would like to have, I can't comment though on the originality of the ammeter for early TR2's anybody know?

Dave