2011 - the TR4's 50th Birthday!

I'm glad to see that the topic has got back to real ideas, all of which are being recorded.

So, thank you for the suggestions/ideas and keep them coming for although we had thought of some already, others are new or have added a new perspective - and that's just what we are are after.

Thanks to all who have contributed thus far - keep the ideas coming!

Ian Cornish

Thinking of our continental chums . . . .

The ferries from Belgium and Holland to Hull and Newcastle offer the shortest driving distances to Harrogate, less than 100 miles or 2 hours UK driving by the direct route, and arrive between 0800-0900hrs.

That seems like a perfect opportunity for a scenic tour to Harrogate, with a pub lunch en route. Local TRs could meet the European visitors at the ports, and take small manageable-size convoys to Harrogate. Perhaps even a choice of convoy routes offering various places of interest, and meeting up at a pre-arranged lunch stop. It's much more interesting having a local guide and travelling in company than touring solo.

And there are probably enough TR4s locally to act as convoy leaders, with whatever other TR models as tail gunners ?

No major feat of organisation, just a handful of volunteer drivers, and supplying a printed route map and phone contact numbers in case of anyone getting lost or running into problems.

Similarly, with the homegoing ferries departing late afternoon or evening, visitors departing on Monday could have the opportunity of another local group convoy, leisurely tour and lunch on Monday . . . .

Cheers,

Alec

Edited by Alec Pringle

Another good idea Alec,

I like convoys. I remember seeing one or two as a kid when a lot of classic/veteran cars would drive past - the whole town would stop and stare. After all, not that many people get to see classics and may not choose to go to a car show. It would show off to the people of Harrogate our fabulous cars, many people today will not even recognise them - it is 50 years after all!

The best convoys are those which go at a 'reasonable' pace. I've been in some where people think the goal is to burn off the person behind as fast as they can, but the impact on the public is no where near as good as a nice long line of TRs all together. Naturally you can't stop the traffic to enable this, but you can do it close enough. All a matter of balance.

Bri.

Thinking of our continental chums . . . .

The ferries from Belgium and Holland to Hull and Newcastle offer the shortest driving distances to Harrogate, less than 100 miles or 2 hours UK driving by the direct route, and arrive between 0800-0900hrs.

That seems like a perfect opportunity for a scenic tour to Harrogate, with a pub lunch en route. Local TRs could meet the European visitors at the ports, and take small manageable-size convoys to Harrogate. Perhaps even a choice of convoy routes offering various places of interest, and meeting up at a pre-arranged lunch stop. It's much more interesting having a local guide and travelling in company than touring solo.

And there are probably enough TR4s locally to act as convoy leaders, with whatever other TR models as tail gunners ?

No major feat of organisation, just a handful of volunteer drivers, and supplying a printed route map and phone contact numbers in case of anyone getting lost or running into problems.

Similarly, with the homegoing ferries departing late afternoon or evening, visitors departing on Monday could have the opportunity of another local group convoy, leisurely tour and lunch on Monday . . . .

Cheers,

Alec

And there are some excellent unspoiled, quiet roads on the Yorkshire Wolds (my old stomping ground and north west of Hull) and the Air Museum at Elvington just east of York...

Brgds

Thanks for the info Tony, Roger and Badfrog.

PS Badfrog, does the "Last Tango in Paris" remain a popular dance in the city of romance ?,.

Not in my circles. I hear some eco-oriented persons keep it alive with fair trade palm oil..... :blink:

Badfrog

The ferries from Belgium and Holland to Hull and Newcastle offer the shortest driving distances to Harrogate, less than 100 miles or 2 hours UK driving by the direct route, and arrive between 0800-0900hrs. That seems like a perfect opportunity for a scenic tour to Harrogate, with a pub lunch en route. Local TRs could meet the European visitors at the ports, and take small manageable-size convoys to Harrogate. Perhaps even a choice of convoy routes offering various places of interest, and meeting up at a pre-arranged lunch stop. It's much more interesting having a local guide and travelling in company than touring solo.

ferries departing late afternoon or evening, visitors departing on Monday could have the opportunity of another local group convoy, leisurely tour and lunch on Monday . . . .

Alec

Brilliant. I'm game. I'll bring french fries from Belgium. They really know how to make them and some extra oil is always handy.

Badfrog

The dates for IWE 2011 in Harrogate are Friday 29th to Sunday 31st July.

That part of the world offers numerous attractions, as we continue to discover whenever we visit our Son and Daughter-in-law in Leeds, where they have been living almost 12 years now. In fact, the IWE would offer the ideal excuse and opportunity for taking a week's holiday in Yorkshire, spanning the IWE itself.

Ian Cornish

Hopefully the last weekend in July might encourage some of the Europeans accustomed to August holidays, as I've heard plenty of comment in recent years that the 3rd weekend of July doesn't fit well for them . . . . and at least the roads might be slightly less crowded than the 3rd weekend which is when all the schools break up ! :D

Presumably Webby will be providing the TR4 50th cake for the occasion ? And a Wedgie cake to celebrate 30 years on ? ;)

Cheers,

Alec

The dates for IWE 2011 in Harrogate are Friday 29th to Sunday 31st July.

That part of the world offers numerous attractions, as we continue to discover whenever we visit our Son and Daughter-in-law in Leeds, where they have been living almost 12 years now. In fact, the IWE would offer the ideal excuse and opportunity for taking a week's holiday in Yorkshire, spanning the IWE itself.

Ian Cornish

Ian

Holiday in Yorkshire - excellent idea - I started the TR Aysgarth Weekend some 14 years (?) ago (as i wished to take the TR there so thought other would also enjoy it - they did and still do! Continues to be organised by the East Riding Group) and is still running - this year there were around 20 cars beautiful scenery in 'Herriott Country' and not too far from Harrogate either.

I believe next year's weekend is penciled in for two weeks before the IWE(?)

Brgds

There have been an awful lot of TR4 models of one sort and another produced over the past half century. A comprehensive display at Harrogate ought to alert collectors to those they don't yet possess, and may not even have known about, and result in rocketing prices on ebay . . . . . ? :D

Scalextric TR4s used to be fun, a tad pricey nowadays, but another form of competition ?

On the convoy theme again, a few North Europeans might be encouraged towards the Esbjerg-Harwich ferry if there was a warm welcome awaiting them in East Anglia ? 12 noon Thursday arrival, just in time for a lunch in Essex or Suffolk and a convoy by scenic route to the East Midlands, a TR friendly hotel with secure parking and a decent dinner with a local group overnight . . . . and onwards to Harrogate at leisure via wherever on Friday. The return ferry departs late afternoon Monday, allowing time for a relaxed Monday journey back to Harwich. Shouldn't be too difficult for 2 or 3 local groups to liaise a convoy by relay ?

Similarly the Hook of Holland service to Harwich may well be popular, and again those travelling from Holland may appreciate some Triumph company and a leisurely guided tour up to Yorkshire ? Ferry crossings aren't cheap in July/August, but Harrogate may well look a more attractive option if it's a leisurely long weekend tour rather than a frantic blast. Something to keep the Overseas Coordinator out of mischief ? :D

Cheers,

Alec

There have been an awful lot of TR4 models of one sort and another produced over the past half century. A comprehensive display at Harrogate ought to alert collectors to those they don't yet possess, and may not even have known about, and result in rocketing prices on ebay . . . . . ? :D

Scalextric TR4s used to be fun, a tad pricey nowadays, but another form of competition ?

On the convoy theme again, a few North Europeans might be encouraged towards the Esbjerg-Harwich ferry if there was a warm welcome awaiting them in East Anglia ? 12 noon Thursday arrival, just in time for a lunch in Essex or Suffolk and a convoy by scenic route to the East Midlands, a TR friendly hotel with secure parking and a decent dinner with a local group overnight . . . . and onwards to Harrogate at leisure via wherever on Friday. The return ferry departs late afternoon Monday, allowing time for a relaxed Monday journey back to Harwich. Shouldn't be too difficult for 2 or 3 local groups to liaise a convoy by relay ?

Similarly the Hook of Holland service to Harwich may well be popular, and again those travelling from Holland may appreciate some Triumph company and a leisurely guided tour up to Yorkshire ? Ferry crossings aren't cheap in July/August, but Harrogate may well look a more attractive option if it's a leisurely long weekend tour rather than a frantic blast. Something to keep the Overseas Coordinator out of mischief ? :D

Cheers,

Alec

Sounds just the ticket Alec!!

Hi Ian,

you may very well think so, but Chris Hale may be cussing me roundly by now for suggestions of adding to his workload !!! :P

It will be interesting to see if any of our TR friends in Europe have any thoughts ?

Harrogate is a fair haul from the Channel Ports, whether you're looking at Ramsgate, Dover, Folkestone, Newhaven, Portsmouth or Poole. The thick end of 300 miles or 450kms from any of them. Five hours on a good day maybe, but there aren't likely to be that many good days at the end of July and beginning of August, at least not traffic wise. 8 hours might be a more realistic figure, allowing for comfort breaks, a snack stop, and the inevitable M1/M25/M20 problems. Another sound argument for making a longer weekend or a week of it, taking a more leisurely scenic route. Maybe there should be rendezvous points arranged well in advance, so individual travellers and small convoys alike can come together on the road to Harrogate. Same goes for an overnight gathering spot in the East Midlands, there must be a reasonable and secure hotel open to a bulk deal ?

Changing the subject, those with elephantine memories may yet recall the days of the John O'Groats-Lands End and the Round Britain Runs, 1977 and 78 respectively. Participating TRs sported damn great decals on doors or bonnet, self-adhesive vinyl based on the traditional TR badge design and emblazoned with whatever motif - I forget the detail, although I still have one somewhere in my archives . . . . Something like that could be popular, sent out in advance to decorate those cars on the annual TR Pilgrimage, '50 Years of TR4' or whatever. Or maybe '30 Years Dead but not Gone'. The Carnabysian Army still marching on ? B)

Cheers,

Alec

Ian, On a variation on a theme concerning entry prices perhaps all TR4 drivers could be given a numbered ticket on arrival inviting them to some sort of reception during the weekend with a ticket being drawn at the reception refunding the lucky winners entry fee, or a TR Reg gift voucher, or free entry the following year.

Alec has come up with so many good ideas I can't think of anything else, other than trying to get the oldest and newest known TR4s to attend. The Dove variant should also have it's own sub display. I'm sure Jon Marshall will be able to help with identifying individuals for that.

It will be interesting to see if any of our TR friends in Europe have any thoughts ?

Alec

Hi Alec,

Not if I can avoid it.

Your East Anglia and Yorkshire routes are all good to me. Yorkshire has an extra point as my son is in serious business with a Yorkshire-originating gal (gorgeous, mind you), so it would be educational for me (in terms of knowing what's cooking).

I would favor the Belgium/Holland ferries, but with the minimal continental distance (freeways only up there) and optimal UK trip to increase the countryside byroads experience. Being welcomed at port of entry for the trip to Harrogate is a grand idea.

Cheers,

Badfrog

On behalf of every one in Yorkshire i just want to say what a pleasure it will be next year to have so many lovely cars in our county

I am in the long slow process of saving up for a TR4a so will be pulling out all the stops to attend at least on one of the days

If any one is staying over longer than just the weekend, make the effort to drive through either the Yorkshire Dales or the North York Moors, the country side is truly wonderful

Nick

Another memory from the distant past that resurfaces . . . . rendezvous points. In my youth we all drove bangers, TRs or anything else that moved under its own steam, the likelihood of reaching unhindered a destination 200 miles away might be 90% on a good day, and sod all odds on any other day. Whether it was race meeting or a rock festival, there was strength in numbers. So rendezvous points were circulated on the grapevine, informal convoys forming en route. Friday 1700hrs departure from Keele Services, 1900hrs at Watford Gap, or whatever - and the next run 2 hours later, same locations. If trouble struck, you limped to the next rendezvous, there'd be hands along to assist afore long. After all, there were no mobile phones or recovery services then, roadside assistance and/or a tow to the nearest garage if you were lucky, and the garage was always shut.

I recall such rendezvous points en route to Donington TR meetings, ad hoc TR convoys arriving at Melbourne Loop 10,20,30 strong. It wouldn't be difficult to schedule some such rendezvous points on the Roads to Harrogate, starting at entry ports and moving on from there. A virtually cost-free exercise, and it's more fun hitching up to the wagon train along the trail, great social ice breaker and you get to meet the nicest people . . . . .

Cheers,

Alec