rear nut on fuel pump

If anyone is considering raising a petition to have the bloke who positioned

the rear nut on the TR4A fuel pump taken outside and shot, please send it to

me for an additional signature.

The problem is the guy who put the inner wing in the way!

Try using a 1/4" drive ratchet with short extension and UJ.

AlanR

Hi, I found a way of tightening it up, I cut a spanner in half and use the end of a shaft on a hammer, tapping downwards to tighten the nut, and it works!!

Andrew

Hi, I found a way of tightening it up, I cut a spanner in half and use the end of a shaft on a hammer, tapping downwards to tighten the nut, and it works!!

Andrew

I see the makings of a 'bush mechanic' here. I like that one Andrew.

And Badfrog has told us where to find the b*gger. Might go and buy the ammonium nitrate while I'm out this morning.

Andrew

Andrew,

after quickly discovering doing the nut up is a quantum leap in difficulty compared to undoing it, I followed your advice.

Next time you are passing through Canberra drop in to collect the many beers I owe you.

There was an amazing side effect - after cutting the spanner I found that the attraction between chrome-vanadium and the cement floor increased about 100 fold, but the nut is now done up, and my back now moves more freely.

(I think I'll have lunch before find out whether the pump still works.)

Later: it doesn't.(sigh) Latest tip put a scratch or texta line on the metal part of the pump matching the direction of the stirrup. That still doesn't solve the 'rubber in the way of the screws' problem but you'll have to sort that one out yourself.

Rhodri- reckon some swine put that one up on 1st of April one year. Triumph placed a large chunk of diecast metal in front of the said nut to make it impossible to get a socket on to the nut.

Edited by littlejim

Ah ha, that explains it!. I was having a bit of a clear out last week and at the bottom of my spanner drawer I found a spanner cut in half. I couldn't remember for the life of why I had done this but I knew ther had to be a reason, now I know. I am busy attaching a label to the relevant half for next time. :)