I am new to TR ownership but noticed the ammeter on my '66 TR4a was a Lucas one, whilst all the other dials are Jaeger. I thought that perhaps it had been replaced over the years and then never paid it anymore attention, until yesterday when i was watching a TV prog on Discovery Shed called "Classic Car Club" (worth a watch by the way, apart from the rather over the top Garth from Waynes World lookalike). Anyway on the show they featured a TR4 which had the same dials, all Jaeger apart from the ammeter which was Lucas..

My question is

Have all TR4's and A's got Lucas ammeters or were the Jaeger ones dodgy and got replaced by Lucas?

cheers

Osbert

Have all TR4's and A's got Lucas ammeters or were the Jaeger ones dodgy and got replaced by Lucas?

All TR2/3/3A/3B/4/4A cars had Jaeger dials

except for the ammeter, which was Lucas.

AlanR

Good question (and answer).

This was going to be one of my things to search for whilst looking around the other cars at Malvern.

Bri.

The British Jaeger production was Smiths for all practical purposes, and Smiths had a longstanding agreement with Lucas dividing various areas of motor component production between them. Hence Smiths (Jaeger) bought in Lucas ammeters, a practice which continued for many years after the original agreements expired.

See the link below if you wish the arcane detail of the historical relationship . . . .

http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/rep_pub/reports/1960_1969/fulltext/025c06.pdf

Jaeger in France and in Switzerland produced ammeters along with just about every other variety of dashboard instrument, but this was proper quality stuff, not Smiths cheapies.

Cheers,

Alec