Temperature in a TR3A

Hello,

I have my 1959 TR3A for the last 6 months and so I am starting to get familiar with the car. I am looking for advice on the cooling system.

1. Radiator fluid is gushing out of overflow bottle. It happens when I turn the car off. I guess, there is an air bubble in the system (since fluid expands little and air expands more) but I am not sure what exactlly I should be doing or checking out (radiator cap, heater valve to be kept closed or open etc).

2. Temperature stays at 185 in a road but goes frequentlly higher then this. There is an eletric fan installed on the car with a manually controled switch. So, when I turn and keep it on, temperature goes back to 185. I am wondering if these temperature level are OK or not.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Reinaldo

The temperature levels seem to be all right and you may be having overflow problems if you overfill.

I have a blanking cap on the radiator and an expansion bottle attached to the original overflow tube. The new vessel has a pressure cap at the usual 4 lbs and when hot the water expands into the vessel and is drawn back into the radiator on cooling down. This allows me to fill up to the top of the filler neck and gives me more coolant.

A new radiator core as well means that I do not overheat even in summer traffic jams. There is also an electric fan on the front of the radiator blowing in, and the original fan fited as well. This all seems to work really well.

Try it out. Good luck

Richard :)

Hi Reinaldo,

Try a new radiator cap first.

Check the fan belt is not slipping.

You might need to back flush the radiator, as sometimes engine gunk dislodges and sits on top of the core tubes, partially blocking them. Pressure then backs up.

Or the radiator might need the top tank removed and the cores "rodded" out. Highly mineralised water can cause core blockage, overcome by using purified water, or catching some rainwater.

Check that one of the bottom hoses hasn't collapsed internally, thus restricting return water flow to the engine.

Regards,

Viv.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply.

Good to know that the original fan plus the eletric fan works well for you.

In my TR4A I have changed the original metal fan for a plastic one (the one that fits the TR6) and the engine became more vivid (less drag). This good experience makes me wonder if I should do the same change on my TR3A.

There is a good chance that my only problem was to overfill. I will investigate further.

Regards,

Reinaldo

Hi Viv,

Thanks for your reply.

Fan belt sliping is a good bet. One of the few problems the car has is a broken screw on the water pump housing. The link is free to move but its end sort of seat on the edge of the pump housing and so it is still possible to get some pressure on the belt.

I will do further investigation for the other itens that you mention (new radiator cap, back flush the radiator,top tank removed and the cores "rodded" out and bottom hoses)

Regards,

Reinaldo

P.S.: I am currently reading the book "Triumph: Sidescreen TRs" written by Graeme White about the history of these cars in Australia: it is just fantastic!

Hi Reinaldo,

Glad you are enjoying Graeme White's book as he's been a friend for many years. Pages 38, 39 and 163 show the famous TR2 now with Mark Hoble in London that is contesting Plateau 2 at Classic Le Mans in a few weeks, after winning same in 2008. Page 162 front car on the bridge is my former TR3B and my current TR is the red 3A outside the pub.

Hope you get the cooling problem sorted. The neck of the radiator should just be half filled or coolant will push out, seeing it's only a low pressure radiator cap.

Regards,

Viv.

Hi Viv,

Forgot to mention that I bought the book based on a tip gotten at this forum.

I took a look on the pages you mention. It is amazing to see the pics of the Doug Whiteford TR2 taken in 1955 and the recent one taken by the current owner (Mark Hoble). I am looking forward to see the result (and pics) of the contest in the Classic Le Mans.

Congratulations for your nice TR3A. I guess it is 1960, right? Well, I just learned on the book that

sidescreen´s were scarce in Australia except for that particular year.

In Brazil the presence of Triumphs has been very small. We have a small club (www.triumphcars.com.br) and our best estimate indicate around 70 cars in country, mostly Spitfires.

Thanks again,

Reinaldo

Reinaldo

Just picked up on this thread. I had the same problems when my car was recommissioned in 2003 after a 12 year forced rest. So, before you do anything try the simple things first:

1. Only fill the radiator until you have approximately 12mm of water in the neck - any more and the excess it will dump itself via the overflow as you are finding out.

2. Start the car without the radiator cap fitted and run it up to temperature (185) and then leave it on fast idle for about 10 minutes (a club hammer on the accelerator helps!) and watch for air bubbles in the radiator neck - this will bleed any air from the cooling system.

This worked for me and worth a try as it free!! :rolleyes:

Cheers and good luck

Andrew

Martin,

Thanks for the tip. It really looks like a very complete article.

Reinaldo

===============================================================

There is a series of 3 articles by Brian Richards from Australia on 'Cooling the Sidescreen TR' which appears to be the 'definitive' article and is well worth reading. Here is the link: http://www.tr-register.com.au/Files/technical/cooling1.htm

Regards,

Martin