Change to alternator

Hi. I am thinking about changing to an alternator set up. I was wondering if an alternator from a Triumph Saloon would fit without too much hassle. Also I have heard that I can replace the original fan with a 7 blade plastic one for better cooling rather than an electric one. Does anyone know if this is correct. Cheers. Brian

I'm not sure about the alternator from a Triumph saloon, but the type fitted to the TR7 (Lucas LRA101 or Unipart GXE8210) fits a TR4 and I think that, despite the narrower body, it would fit in a TR2/3. Have a look at my article in Section J4 of the Technicalities CD.

I have had a LRA101 alternator fitted since 1993, with no problems.

The LRA101 is rated at 34 amps, but I've never seen a charge rate of more than 30 amps, even after a winter start. 34 amps is a sensible maximum for wiring which was designed for about 19 (TR2) or 22 (TR4) amps.

Ian Cornish

I have the LRA 101 on my TR3A with a thin pulley conversion, works very well. But I would advise as most of you a heatshield to protect the diodes at the back side in the body ;)

Further I have seen all kind of plastic fans on TR3s I think mostly TR6 units. Never heard complains from owners. But I think the best option to cope with temperature is a correct thermostat as descibed in a former topic by Don