Wanted - Copy of HS6 (TR4A) Manual Pages

Hi All,

My TR4 has (back in 2002 by a previous owner) been upgraded from Stromies to SU HS6 TR4A spec .... which I'm very pleased with.

My workshop manual for the TR4 obviously doesn't cover these

My Haynes Book of Lies thinks that the TR4 had H6s and the TR4A had Strombergs (and that's it) !! nothing like full coverage then :P

Is anyone able to scan and email me copies from the official workshop manual, or if you have one of those workshop manuals on a CD jobbies, email me the appropriate PDF images please.

Many thanks all,

Cheers,

Bri.

Hi All,

Is anyone able to scan and email me copies from the official workshop manual, or if you have one of those workshop manuals on a CD jobbies, email me the appropriate PDF images please.

Many thanks all,

Cheers,

Bri.

Bri

Have a look at the technical pages on the SU Carb Company site - some usual info and pics there http://www.sucarb.co.uk/

Thanks for that Bill, but I've got all that information.

I was really after all the Triumph specific stuff out of the manuals - any one got a copy they could scan?

Cheers,

Bri.

"My Haynes Book of Lies thinks that the TR4 had H6s and the TR4A had Strombergs (and that's it) !! nothing like full coverage then"

Funnily enough, that's pretty much how the factory workshop manual denotes the situation too . . . . at least the original 510322 looseleaf main dealer version.

Haynes' manuals come in for a lot of flak, which isn't always justified. Factory manuals were written for the skilled time-served mechanic, which I'm not - many's the time I'd have floundered but for the Haynes' book written for the average amateur idiot . . . :P

Sorry, but the scanner has recently joined the Norwegian Blue !

Cheers,

Alec

Brian,

I have a TR4 workshop manual detailing, on page 1.303 etc., the SU carbs and on page 1.307 etc. zenith-stromberg carbs. If any of these will be a help to you I will be pleased to scan them and e-mail them to you if you send me your e-mail address.

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the offer, but I already have the same TR4 manual. The SUs described in our manual are the H6 unit in use in the early days of the TR4. The TR4A utilised (after the strombergs) the HS6 which has a much more different and improved jet assembly. Additionally, Triumph modified the inlet manifold (I think) and certainly the linkage assemblies connecting throttle etc.

Alec said

Funnily enough, that's pretty much how the factory workshop manual denotes the situation too

Which would explain the Haynes omissions as very often the Haynes book replicated the workshop manuals.

However, surely there must be a workshop manual supplement that was produced for the TR4A HS6 setup ??? Anyone has a copy, I'd be interested.

Thanks All,

Bri.

Thanks guys

I like that site, thanks for the link - now safely bookmarked.

I do understand SUs, indeed I've completely rebuilt several HS8s for my twin carb Rover P6 - which is also an inlet manifold off job to do some of the most basic tasks over and above simple tuning (why couldn't Rover have made the carb unit simpler!)

As I have a TR4 with TR4A carburettors, I'd like to supplement my manuals with the correct data for my car.

Many thanks for all your help and suggestions so far though - much appreciated.

Bri.

Hi Brian,

I've checked all of my various factory and proprietary manuals, none of which refer specifically to the TR4A HS6 fitment, even as a supplement. I'd guess as far as Leyland were concerned, H6 and HS6 were close enough for the average dealer mechanic not to need much further explanation ? Basic data and the parts book sufficed, perhaps ?

As an aside, I've often wondered just how many 4As were actually fitted with SUs as original ? Yes I know the theoretical engineering change point from Stromberg to SU, but against that are the supply problems of the mid-60s which afflicted SU perhaps even more than the average supplier. Certainly in the 70s it seemed as if relatively few IRS cars in fact sported SUs, even the later production, and I'm damn sure owners hadn't often swapped from SUs to Strombergs. Maybe Jon Marshall has some hard facts on this topic ?

Cheers,

Alec

As an aside, I've often wondered just how many 4As were actually fitted with SUs as original ? Yes I know the theoretical engineering change point from Stromberg to SU, but against that are the supply problems of the mid-60s which afflicted SU perhaps even more than the average supplier.

Not sure of the factory change to Stromberg across the ranges but July 66 was when the first GT6 rolled out and they were on Strombergs from the start, so that is quite early on in 4A production.

Having said that, my 4A is ex USA 1966, not sure of build date, and its SUs seemed to be original.

Andy

Edited by 67_gt6

Hi Brian,

TR4 received Stromberg paraphernalia from march to october 1963, grossly. The rest of them received H6, not HS6.

The main rule is such:

- TR4: short (mediocre) manifold, long bodied H6

- TR4A long (good) manifold), short bodied HS6.

In a nutshell, supposing you have a short manifold and short bodied HS6, you're in literature limbo and no special rules apply. My tuppence:

Get a long manifold, SM or TS needles, 8103 dashpot damper and get it on the road...

Cheers,

Badfrog, done 'em all, lost the T-shirt.

Thanks everyone for you words of wisdom. Much appreciated. I think I'll end up getting a copy of the 4A parts book. The Moss website has diagrams that I've been using for the specifics of what is what, and what connects where etc.

Thanks Alec for checking your manuals, looks like Triumph probably only updated the parts book and not the manual. Fair enough, at least I know I'm not going to get it!

I've just also started another posting which I'd like to hear your comments, as I delve into what I've got as SUs and the associated connections, and issues.

Cheers,

Bri.