Disintegrating Surrey Top

Having finally got my car registered here in Germany (you won't believe the bureaucracy - getting it to England from HK was probably easier), and with the sun out, I decided to take the hardtop off. So far, so good - until I tried to put the vinyl Surrey top on. Unfortunately, the steel insert running along the front of the "hood" (the bit that is supposed to tuck under a groove in the header rail) has disintegrated into about 5 bits, so a tight fit is impossible (and an impromptu shower is inevitable). Is there any way to repair this, or do I have to either (i) wear a sou'wester and fit wipers to the inside of the screen, or (ii) ditch the soft top and get a new one? If I have to get a new one, where can I get a good one (at a sensible price)?

Regards,

CJG

Having finally got my car registered here in Germany (you won't believe the bureaucracy - getting it to England from HK was probably easier), and with the sun out, I decided to take the hardtop off. So far, so good - until I tried to put the vinyl Surrey top on. Unfortunately, the steel insert running along the front of the "hood" (the bit that is supposed to tuck under a groove in the header rail) has disintegrated into about 5 bits, so a tight fit is impossible (and an impromptu shower is inevitable). Is there any way to repair this, or do I have to either (i) wear a sou'wester and fit wipers to the inside of the screen, or (ii) ditch the soft top and get a new one? If I have to get a new one, where can I get a good one (at a sensible price)?

Regards,

CJG

Im not sure if you can still get the re-enforcing plates but to replace would mean unpicking the stitching on the front and having it re-stitched. or if you want to go for a new one this is a good price.

Surrey top

Stuart.

Im not sure if you can still get the re-enforcing plates but to replace would mean unpicking the stitching on the front and having it re-stitched. or if you want to go for a new one this is a good price.

Surrey top

Stuart.

Thanks for the advice. The advert says "Re-use of your front retaining bar is required to fit this product but is easily removed from your existing hood." Is that the disintegrating metal plate, or would this hood solve my problem?

Regards,

CJG

The advert says "Re-use of your front retaining bar is required to fit this product

but is easily removed from your existing hood."

Is that the disintegrating metal plate, or would this hood solve my problem?

The wording in the advert is misleading, I think.

The metal strip (note: strip) at the front is sewn in - not an easy job

to replace. It is in three sections to allow the hood to be folded.

The rear hollow rond bar (note: bar) slides into the rear of the soft top

quite easily, so this piece is not normally supplied.

The advert implies this rear bar is fitted at the front - it isn't.

Just badly worded, I think.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

The wording in the advert is misleading, I think.

The metal strip (note: strip) at the front is sewn in - not an easy job

to replace. It is in three sections to allow the hood to be folded.

The rear hollow rond bar (note: bar) slides into the rear of the soft top

quite easily, so this piece is not normally supplied.

The advert implies this rear bar is fitted at the front - it isn't.

Just badly worded, I think.

AlanR

Alan is right, I have just bought one from this company and it is excellent quality, but you need to re-use

the hollow round bar from the REAR of your old surrey top.

The advert is just badly worded

I got prompt service with next day delivery.

Rex

The 3 metal bars on mine simply slip into a pocket in the front of the hood, they're not stitched in.

Not on the original ones. I don't know about other manufacturers

but most, I'm sure, follow the original detail.

AlanR

My replacement hood was easily mod'd to take new strips. However I don't doubt what Alan says about the original ones.

If you're going to fit new strips consider using stainless steel AND ensure they are wide enough to stay under the frame capping.

Roger