Does anyone have any experience of fitting a front anti role bar to an otherwise standard early TR2? I want to maintain a good road car but believe a roll bar will improve general roadholding - am I right? Any pitfalls to look out for? Thank in anticipation, Bill

Does anyone have any experience of fitting a front anti role bar to an otherwise standard early TR2? I want to maintain a good road car but believe a roll bar will improve general roadholding - am I right? Any pitfalls to look out for? Thank in anticipation, Bill

I have fitted them and they do work well. I will post you up some pictures in the morning.

Stuart

The one fitted to the BRG car is a Revington one and fitted Ok just needed a couple of the mounting holes redrilled to clear the lower bumper irons on the 2 as I think it was designed for a 3a.The other one is a sixties original and although a thinner bar it mounts further out so does just as good a job.

Stuart

Stuart - pictures worth a thousand words! Got the Revington kit delivered tonight and only really made sense of the parts once I re-looked at the picture you posted so thanks again. I can see why you needed to drill that extra hole, and I want to keep the front bumper on my car so will probably need to do the same. The only other alternative suggested by Revington was to modify the bumper brackets, which I don't really want to do.

Before I fit the ARB will take the car out for a drive, fit it and repeat the drive - hopefully will be able to feel the difference.

Rgds Bill

Bill,

Are you doing any other modifications to your front suspension.

The pictures of the green TR2 show that it isn't terribly standard, which in my opinion is a good thing. My TR3 has lots of suspension modifications, including later TR4 parts and the Revington ARB.

It's great to drive.....quickly!

David

I must have something wrong when I fitted a Revington ARB to my TR3A, along with the uprated suspension rear ARB etc etc at quite a cost.

I found it drove as though it had NO suspension, Valueing my spinal column and eyesight I removed said "Improvement" parts and fitted Standard items, car was transformed (for me) and then drove beautifully.

Each to his own, the only good thing about it was that when I sold the bits on, they sold easily, Revington having a good reputation.

But I have been castigated by another member previously, for trying to say that an ARB isnt vital for a road car, which I still think is true.

The green 2 was carefully assembled with some Revington bits and some standard items specially for the elderly owner who has owned the car from six months old and I didnt want it to be too harsh a ride Pete. It has a rack conversion and the 3degree upright mod and nylon/polybush combo but retains standard springs and a soft setting on the adjustable shocks. I also didnt use the rear antiroll bar just uprated rear springs and with their associated locating kit and uprated Armstrongs. 20000 miles later the owner is still extremely happy with it and thinks nothing of driving it very long distances in all weathers (It is his only car :o )

But FWIW I dont have an ARB on my 4a :ph34r:

Stuart

Edited by stuart
  • 2 weeks later...

Now in the thick of trying to fit the front ARB - and nothing seems to fit!!

Problem 1: the off side spring pan is around 1 inch lower than the nearside, ie the ABS without the drop links in place will make contact with the os pan about an inch before it could make contact with the near side - could this be a spring related problem??

Problem 2: if I fit the vertical links as they are they do not sit square on the bar but are at an angle of approx 30 degrees, the top of the link is towards the outside of the car, the bottom where it meets the bar to the centre line of the car. The only way to get it to look half decent is to remove the deep locking nut and then it sits almost straight. Has anyone has a similar problem before?

Thanks, frustrated of the new forest.

How could I miss this posting!

My 3A has an anti roll bar as well. The bar itself is from a '90 or '91 Suzuki (!). The plate that holds the bar is home made. Although I know a guy who has made that skid plate with a CNC machine in s/steel...

When I bought the car, it didn't have the cross member under the radiator, so I had to get one from the usual suppliers. Then I met this guy who had constructed a anti roll bar device for his TR3.

On the pic is one thing not visible: before mounting, I drilled two holes in the skid plate, directly under the spot where the radiator bolts are located. This way, one can reach the bolt heads without any problem.

Menno

A few pics:

P1010682.jpg

P1010680.jpg

P1010676.jpg

• 9 months later...

How could I miss this posting!

My 3A has an anti roll bar as well. The bar itself is from a '90 or '91 Suzuki (!). The plate that holds the bar is home made. Although I know a guy who has made that skid plate with a CNC machine in s/steel...

When I bought the car, it didn't have the cross member under the radiator, so I had to get one from the usual suppliers. Then I met this guy who had constructed a anti roll bar device for his TR3.

On the pic is one thing not visible: before mounting, I drilled two holes in the skid plate, directly under the spot where the radiator bolts are located. This way, one can reach the bolt heads without any problem.

Menno

A few pics:

P1010682.jpg

P1010680.jpg

P1010676.jpg

Hi Menno,

i have fitted the exact same home-brew kit on my TR2.

Had to do some adjustments, made a set of new bumper-irons with a different angle, found a set of blue polybushes for a suzuki swift.

Blasted and powdercoated it... the set really look the works !

best of all, it really works, what a great improvement !!!

I already made some adjustments to the TR, but now its a real toy to drive !!

Anyone: e great performance gadget for your car !

In simple terms an anti-roll bar stops a car rolling and oversteering. Instead it feels more stable, is less prone to having the tail break away and is generally nicer to handle.

My TR3A seems to have a TR4 ARB, I've fitted one to my Bristol 400 and my MKVI Bentley has one as standard, but it's not strong enough, so my son fits the Harvey Bailey handling kit to his customers cars. This comprises of a thicker front one and one for the rear to balance things up. It makes a huge difference and the car can be driven at astonishing speeds safely.

The Americans call them sway bars, which is a good description because they do stop swaying.

Ash

Hee Edwin!

Did you get the a/r bar from the same source? That guy from Limburg? (For the non-Dutch: the southernmost province of The Netherlands. Their accent is very difficult to understand when they start talking...).

And yes: parts are from the Suzuki Swift. Afaik not only the bushes, but also the bar itself is from a Swift! I've hardly driven the car without the a/r bar, so I can not compare 'before and aft'. Must say that the seller is a wizard with a welder!

Menno

Hee Edwin!

Did you get the a/r bar from the same source? That guy from Limburg? (For the non-Dutch: the southernmost province of The Netherlands. Their accent is very difficult to understand when they start talking...).

And yes: parts are from the Suzuki Swift. Afaik not only the bushes, but also the bar itself is from a Swift! I've hardly driven the car without the a/r bar, so I can not compare 'before and aft'. Must say that the seller is a wizard with a welder!

Menno

think it's the same bloke... was selling these kits and some other welded improvement items on the last Dutch National Triumph parts meeting in october.

Bought a kit for the tr4 too.

I bought a Moss europe kit to convert the rear-suspension with koni absorbers, which I have to fit one of the these days.

Have already replaced all the rubber bushings with poly ones, konis in front. I think i'll start looking for a set discs to replace the braking on the front. I think I improved the car enough then ;)