Evening All

Another beautiful TR type day, spent the morning exploring my 3A and the afternoon out playing. :)

Whilst out playing on our very rough pot hole infested country lanes I noticed the horn push and indicator switch had come loose ( do they call it the control head ?).

Discovered the 3 grub screws around the steering wheel casting and assumed one may have broken or come loose. Not the case they are all in one piece. It is just the top one does not appear to hold the unit in place.

Not sure what the screws locate into. gave up after about an hour of trying to secure it. :(

Hope this makes sense, any advice most welcome.

Cheers.

Nick

Evening All

Another beautiful TR type day, spent the morning exploring my 3A and the afternoon out playing. :)

Whilst out playing on our very rough pot hole infested country lanes I noticed the horn push and indicator switch had come loose ( do they call it the control head ?).

Discovered the 3 grub screws around the steering wheel casting and assumed one may have broken or come loose. Not the case they are all in one piece. It is just the top one does not appear to hold the unit in place.

Not sure what the screws locate into. gave up after about an hour of trying to secure it. :(

Hope this makes sense, any advice most welcome.

Cheers.

Nick

Nick, As I recall, the trafficator, control head, or whatever it's called mounts to he stator tube that passes through the steering column and not directly to the wheel. As I recall, you take the nut off from the bottom of the steering box (catch the fluid) and pull the unit away from steering wheel to see what's going on. I've had that nut come loose so that the whole thing spun around with the wheel. Tom Mulligan

The three grub screws are pointed at the bottom end. This pointed end wedges itself into place to hold it all together. I suspect that the two tight ones may be too far advanced and this may be preventing the third screw from seating down where it should be, to be tight. Back both tight screws out about 3 turns and then try to turn in the loose screw further till it tightens. There is an excellent treatise by Clive Elsdon of Bristol which you can find on the Australian TR site.

http://www.britishcarlinks.com/technical_articles_page.htm

Go down to the sixth or seventh section and click on the link. It will tell you all you need to know. Download it, print it and save it.

Edited by Don Elliott

Nick, As I recall, the trafficator, control head, or whatever it's called mounts to

the stator tube that passes through the steering column and not directly to the wheel.

As I recall, you take the nut off from the bottom of the steering box (catch the fluid)

and pull the unit away from steering wheel to see what's going on.

I've had that nut come loose so that the whole thing spun around with the wheel.

Yes, and it's not a normal 'nut'. It has a brass seal inside

(olive, I think is the correct term) to seal the unit and also

stop the stator tube from turning.

AlanR

The three grub screws are pointed at the bottom end. This pointed end wedges itself into place to hold it all together. I suspect that the two tight ones may be too far advanced and this may be preventing the third screw from seating down where it should be, to be tight. Back both tight screws out about 3 turns and then try to turn in the loose screw further till it tightens. There is an excellent treatise by Clive Elsdon of Bristol which you can find on the Australian TR site.

http://www.britishcarlinks.com/technical_articles_page.htm

Go down to the sixth or seventh section and click on the link. It will tell you all you need to know. Download it, print it and save it.

Thanks guys for you comments, that link sure gives lots of detail. :)

Cheers.

Nick.