Head gasket - dry or sealer?

Just about to refit the head to my rebuilt engine - it has been converted to unleaded with a newly machined face. The block has new pistons and liners and the face is as it was - okay. Do I put the head gasket on dry or should I add a gasket sealer? The gasket is a Payen one btw. Thanks

4473742831_4c062c217f_o.jpg

Edited by randall977

Hi Christian,

if the block/gasket/head conatct faces are in good condition there should be no need for any sealant/gasket goo. :)

Using will ensure a good seal but may make future removal of the head interesting to say the least :o

I like the colours you have opted for on the block.

Roger

Thanks Roger! The surface I'm concerned about is the block, I've read that the new wet liner seals are 0.02mm thinner than the original + the surface is not as good...imagine how annoyed I was to find 6 original copper wet liner seals in with the head gasket...but only after I had fitted the new liners!

Hi Stuart

Is it really necessary on a four pot?

Depends largely on the state of the top of the block as some people dont bother having them refaced on four pot engines and some I have seen lately have been getting a bit rough (Especially the last two T20s ;):lol: ) Also the beauty of well seal means that if a further strip down is ever needed in the future then at least it will come to bits easily.

Stuart