Question on thermostat cover

Does anyone know what the purpose of the ridge is on the face of the thermostat cover that clamps the gasket? I've never noticed this before. Also I can't remember if the gasket is extra thick (i.e. not the usual thin paper)which you would expect given this ridge is there.I've got too many gaskets floating around to tell from what I've got.JJC

Viv - thanks for your response. That was the first thought that came to me but it just doesn't seem to make sense. It's such a thin ridge and the paper gaskets don't really squeeze much. There's all that surface round it that you would have thought would have made a much better seal if it had been flat, like all the others. It still seems very odd. JJC

Is this the "ridge" you are asking about wher my finger is pointing ? That recess is to fit the edge of the thermostat body into so that the aluminium faces of the housing mating parts are flat with the gasket between them to seal it.

It's best to use gasket material of about 1mm thickness between the thermostat housing and cover.

A thin paper gasket can be used between the head and the housing.

Check an older housing though, as they corrode away near the head, and often there's barely a smidgeon af alloy surface remaining against the gasket.

Regards,

Viv.

Is this the "ridge" you are asking about wher my finger is pointing ? That recess is to fit the edge of the thermostat body into so that the aluminium faces of the housing mating parts are flat with the gasket between them to seal it.

Don - thanks for your reply, and the excellent picture. Wish I knew how to post pictures like that. But no, that's not it. The ridge is on the thermostat cover (part 124744)not the housing and it is of larger diameter than the thermostat. I've never noticed this ridge before, presumably I just threw it all back together without looking (on another engine). The gasket is indeed one of the thin paper ones as Viv says, I checked against the Moss current part. So I still don't know what that ridge is supposed to do. JJC

Although I can't solve the ridge problem I very much appreciate the picture posted by Don :rolleyes:

It clearly shows how the original thermostat barrel closes the water by-pass in the housing. Cheap thermostats without this barrels are probably the reason for many cooling issues on Sidescreeen cars. Instead of routeing the cooling fluid through the radiator it will largely circulated it back to the engine :angry: