I poped into Protek a few weeks ago to pick up a rear bumper and they told me that spending a few hundered on getting my engine balanced would be money very well spent (as the 4 engine could be quite rough). Is this really worth doing and what does it entail?

I poped into Protek a few weeks ago to pick up a rear bumper and they told me that

spending a few hundered on getting my engine balanced would be money very well spent

(as the 4 engine could be quite rough).

Is this really worth doing and what does it entail?

Bit of a sales line to get business - it depends also on how many a "few"

is, but IMO definitely worth balancing the engine if it's stripped down.

Arguable whether or not it's worth stripping down just to balance.

TR engines can be a bit rough anyway, so if you have it balanced, at least

you will know you have done all you could.

It's the crankshaft/flywheel/clutch assembly I assume they are talking

about, that's the priority, although you can go further and balance the

pistons/con rod assembles too.

Best way is to balance the crankshaft first, then crankshaft with flywheel

attached, then ditto with the clutch attached. There should then be a

paint mark to allow you to line up all components.

Check first what they recommend / intend to do.

AlanR

Christian

As a big 4 pot tractor engine they can be a bit rough at Idle and slightly lumpy at speed, having said that the last 2 TR4's i have owned were not balanced and revved to 6000rpm without trouble or undue harshness, its part of the charm. Having said that as you have your engine in pieces it would probably be worth doing if it does not cost too many beer tokens.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Christian,

The questions are - Will balancing make enough difference to engine life and ride comfort.

The answer is maybe.

Is it worth the expense - maybe!

With the engine in pieces you have the opportunity. You will be happy within yourself knowing you have done as much as you can.

Whether or not you get the crank balanced do get it cracked checked around #4 big-end journal.

Roger

I have just had my TR4 crank and fly wheel assembly balanced and it was well worth the exercise.

The car was already in pieces when I bought it so I have never run the engine, but I was staggered by how far the clutch cover was out of balance. Crank was fine together with pistons, the cover was 30 grams out of balance which is alot!

I balanced my previous TR3 engine which ran beautifully, the difference is that on the 3 I lightened the flywheel whereas I am leaving the 4 as is. This is because I really want a road car that will idle smoothly, lighteneing the fly wheel does tend to make the car a bit lumpy on idle.

Out of interest the cost was around GBP 60 so it was well worth it.