Good morning,

I'm thinking about splashing out on some new road alloys (and tyres)for the TR3A and using them when we go sprinting. These from Rimmer Bros seem good value. Any views / alternatives / comments?

My link

Many thanks kev

Kevin

I have broken 3 of these wheels (albeit without the centre lock) on separate events, which is why I use the Techdel (original) Minilites. One went on the motorway when I had a caliper bolt break / come loose (which was probably down to yours truly not loctiting it in), one on the Tour of Cheshire a few years ago when a rock hit it on a pretty calm loose test, and the third when I lightly bumped with the tail end in an old oil refinery in Wales somewhere (again on a special test). None of the breakages were as a resuly of anything horrendous.

If you are using them for rallying I would perhaps look at a heavier duty wheel. My Techdels are now on their 3rd coat of paint.

We are still using the original American racing Equipment Silverstone wheels on 3VC without any problems at all, so there is another choice if you want 5 inch wheels that are very light. I use a set on BST on tarmac circuits too. They are hard to get and you need to use van valves for the tyres, a set of nuts is £100 but apart from that they are great.

Regards

Tony

We are still using the original American racing Equipment Silverstone wheels

on 3VC without any problems at all, so there is another choice if you want

5 inch wheels that are very light. I use a set on BST on tarmac circuits too.

They are hard to get and you need to use van valves for the tyres,

a set of nuts is £100 but apart from that they are great.

Good to know the AREs are still up to it despite their age.

£100 (+VAT and + postage) is small change compared with the

cost of the wheels, though!

Tony - I've also been warned that the AREs need tubes as they

do not have a rim designed for tubeless tyres.

Do you have any knowledge or comment on this?

AlanR

Hi Alan

Ive run ARE's with both tubes and no tubes (with Dunlop SP82's and Vredenstein (yuk!) tyres and both permutations have been fine. It may be that the beads on competition tyres are better, but certainly the Dunlops only leak air when you squirm them off the rims when its grippy and tight in the corners. I havent either lost all the air or shed a tyre despite my very best efforts.

Regards

Tony