Menno, any time I've seen this come up there seems to be a wide range of opinions llike for gearbox/OD oil.

I put 30 grade motor bike fork oil into mine after a good flush out, but haven't got it back on the road yet. (This should be the first of many suggestions.)

Years ago when lots of cars had Armstrongs fitted as standard you used to be able to buy a dedicated oil marketed by Armstrongs but I havent seen any of that for years. I have seen suggestions of Harley Davidson fork oil as being pretty good as its a non foaming oil.

Stuart.

Hi Menno,

Here's a bit of a grab bag of stuff on the rear shockers.

The correct fluid, as per Armstrong original, is Castrol Hyspin AWH68, or its equivalent in another brand.

Top the fluid up to the filler bung with the shocker upright as on the car. Perfect is no more, no less.

Work the lever up and down and re-check the level.

I've seen el cheapo attempts to fix weak shockers by using heavier oil. That often blows the seals.

Basically they can only be made stiffer acting by re-valving.

It's an expert job to rebuild these shocks, and best left to professionals with the correct equipment and know how.

Regards,

Viv.

Menno - If the shocks are on your TR3A when you refill them, that's fine. Viv's method is correct. But if you are doing this on the work-bench, do not fill them with the shocks laid flat. The shocks have to be standing vertically so as not to over-fill them. Or fill them flat and them set them vertical to allow the excess to flow back out. I still have two liters of "Armstrong" fluid I bought from the usual suppliers in USA - about 20 years ago.

Menno, For future reference Moss Europe still sell 0.5l cans of standard shock obsorber oil (part no AAA149M), and they also sell Penrite light and heavy shock absorber oil too.

• 3 weeks later...

Menno, Trevor beat me to the punch. Ed (my mechanic) uses the Shock Oil from Moss; been using it for years.

That dang Don is so smart. You know, he still has ORIGINAL AIR for his tyres. It is very difficult to find, and can be rather musty.

I missed you guys; I don't know WHERE I have been...

George - You are almost so right. I still have the 4 tyres I bought at "Canadian Tire" about 1965. These are bias-ply and have been on the rims that I was using at that time. They have always been inflated (with the same air) I filled them with back in the 60s. I kept them on the rims inflated as spares which I thought I might use during winter storage to avoid the draded "flat spot" syndrome on my new summer tyres - but I never did that. I have always stored my 1958 TR3A on the current tyres and never had issues with the "flat bottom" rumour.

George - You are almost so right. I still have the 4 tyres I bought at "Canadian Tire" about 1965. These are bias-ply and have been on the rims that I was using at that time. They have always been inflated (with the same air) I filled them with back in the 60s. I kept them on the rims inflated as spares which I thought I might use during winter storage to avoid the draded "flat spot" syndrome on my new summer tyres - but I never did that. I have always stored my 1958 TR3A on the current tyres and never had issues with the "flat bottom" rumour.

Hey Don, good to hear from you. You know, there is probably a poignant story in that 1960 air, but I don't know what it is. If you truly store your car over the winter, why don't you use 4 jack stands? They are cheap, and still allow you access to the car for starting and running.