Hi All,

Appreciate some help as I am looking to respray my TR4 this year a shade of white. Looking for an of white between white and cream. Is this colour classed as new white or antique white?

Thanks for your help.

Dan

Edited by daniel

Hi All,

Appreciate some help as I am looking to respray my TR4 this year a shade of white. Looking for an of white between white and cream. Is this colour classed as new white or antique white?

Thanks for your help.

Dan

the colour is new white or simply triumph white, code 19

early 4's were availiable in spa white but that was a 'bright' shade

Hi All,

Thanks for your help.

Dan

Hi Daniel,

The original shade of white for your TR4 depends on the year. If you confirm

the year, and preferably the CT number (with the last three numbers 'xxx' for

security) we can give you a more definitive answer.

The first shade was Spa White, slightly off-white but certainly not cream.

The shade of white for later cars, more into the 4A series was much more

creamy, but I think there was another shade in between.

You could, of course, get a Heritage trace - this would confirm the original

specification for your TR4, this includes the colour.

AlanR

Hi Dan,

if you want to stay original then you have the few shades as stated by Alan & Stiggy.

However there are hundreds of off whites out there.

All based on white but going in different diections - cream, pink, brown, blue etc.

It may be that you will need to see the colour you want on a car and enquire after the code.

Pfenlon in the TR5 section has a nice off white on show.

Don't go by the colour swatches at paint shops, you need to see a whole car.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Of course, the cars were painted in cellulose by the factory. Nowadays, cars are painted with other paints (Two-Pack and something else, I believe) - very rarely (if at all) with cellulose. The properties of the paints differ, as I know from my Powder Blue car, which can appear almost white in bright sunlight at a certain angle, and nearer Wedgewood Blue at other times - must be something to do with light-reflecting and absorbing properties of the paint itself.

What I am saying is that, unless you can paint the car in its original cellulose in its original colour, it will never be quite the same as it was in the 1960s.

RogerH is quite right - you need to view a whole car painted in the colour you fancy, because you need to view at various angles and under various lighting conditions (bright sunlight, overcast sky, fluorescent lights, incandescent lights etc).

Ian Cornish

To add a little more, my car is off white.

If you saw the car you would think it is a darkish shade of white as opposed to cream(y) but definately off white.

If you have a 3" x 3" colour swatch it is in fact a light shade of mushroom definately not white.

Mind you I think it is just what I wanted.

You need to know what you want.

Roger

My car had some original Spa White under the gauge panel, and some original Signal Red under the bottom of the windshield, so we just matched those colours. I think there was a great deal of variation in the factory paint depending on the supplier and the paint batch,, so we just worked with what we had. The Signal Red turned out to be a perfect match for a recent Ford Mustang paint. The Spa White had just a touch of cream.

Hi, I have an original Motor Manufacturers Colours from 1960-1968 Standard Triumph and Rover of ICI Refinish Paints.

Standard-Triumph 19 = WHITE P030-3738

White P030-9929 97%

Reduced Yellow Oxide P062-9911 2%

Reduced Black P062-9901 1%

100%

The collor Spa White is different.

White 96%

Reduced Black 3%

Reduced Yellow Oxide 1%

100%

Mayby this helps....

Grtz, Marcel

Edited by Quicksilver

If originality is not important, surely the classic standard shade of 'off-white' is Old English White?

It's well-known old BMC/BL colour but has therefore at least a connection with Triumphs of later years.

Well, my TR4 rally car is Old English White, and I like it! I've had to fit so much modern safety equipment to meet the regs that it can hardly be called a 'replica' anyway........

Nigel