Photo of Late Model Door Latch Mechanism?

Hello Folks,

I started my winter "minor projects" today, adjusted the bonnet, and relocated the passenger-side door pocket that I had originally installed too high. While I had the door panel off, I decided to lube the door latch mechanism, as it would not return on its own and had to be pulled back manually with the outside handle.

Well, the mechanism is a godawful looking thing, so I am sure that it is not original. I had to do some oiling, greasing, and filing down of some metal, and finally got it to work. I also had to shorten the pull rope and cut the groove for the rope deeper into the cardboard box. It is done as well as I can do it.

So, here is my question to you. DO ANY OF YOU HAVE A PHOTO OF YOUR DOOR LATCH PULL MECHANISM? The Spare Parts Catalogue drawing shows a pre-22014 model, and it is only a drawing. I would LOVE to know what a OEM mechanism looks like on a post-60000 model!

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I saw a cool t-shirt the other day: "I DROVE my car to the Trailer Show"

Hello Folks,

I started my winter "minor projects" today, adjusted the bonnet, and relocated the passenger-side door pocket that I had originally installed too high. While I had the door panel off, I decided to lube the door latch mechanism, as it would not return on its own and had to be pulled back manually with the outside handle.

Well, the mechanism is a godawful looking thing, so I am sure that it is not original. I had to do some oiling, greasing, and filing down of some metal, and finally got it to work. I also had to shorten the pull rope and cut the groove for the rope deeper into the cardboard box. It is done as well as I can do it.

So, here is my question to you. DO ANY OF YOU HAVE A PHOTO OF YOUR DOOR LATCH PULL MECHANISM? The Spare Parts Catalogue drawing shows a pre-22014 model, and it is only a drawing. I would LOVE to know what a OEM mechanism looks like on a post-60000 model!

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I saw a cool t-shirt the other day: "I DROVE my car to the Trailer Show"

This is my pre-60K car.

door_RH_mechanism_detail-1.jpg

This is a late, post-60K car restored by Don Elliott

doorlatch.jpg

Thanks Frank and Jesus,

Well, something is obvious right off the bat: I don't have the return spring that both of you show in your photos. However, SOMETHING is returning the mechanism, so I wonder if there is some kind of spring behind the plate near the catch. If I read the Spare Parts Catalogue correctly (no diagram after 22013), the spring part number is 606974, which TRF does NOT stock (I will give Moss a try). Obviously, by the style of the spring, it is not a "powerful" spring, but it may be just enough to pop my mechanism back into place with a firm action (vis-a-vis the slow action that it currently has). Don's photo (on another thread) also reinforces your photos.

Hometown Update:

The Club (Red River Triumph Club) is evolving into exactly what I had hoped it would be. We have just added a monthly "Lunch Drive." On the "off-Saturday" from the monthly Breakfast, we will take a 2-3-hour drive out along some country roads, have lunch, then caravan back. A caravan of British sports cars (in this case, all Triumphs) is still the prettiest sight in the world. Our club runs the whole gamut, from TR8s to 1932 Southern Crosses. The president has a 1949 2000 Roadster. And, of course, we have our monthly meeting. Then there are the car shows...

Texas is car crazy, albeit mostly Detroit iron. Still, there is a car show somewhere in Texas nearly every weekend, it seems. I attended a show 2 weeks ago (about 200 cars): I am sure that I won the Best Foreign Car trophy, as I was the ONLY foreign car. There was a new-generation Alfa there, but he didn't register. I got cold, and went home before the presentation ceremony. Oh yes, there was a guy there with a P-1800 Volvo, with a Chevy 327 in it! Maybe HE won!

Thanks again for the poop. Oh! The Toad-in-the-Hole was a ROUSING SUCCESS at the Christmas Party.

George there is an internal spring in the mechanism as the 2s and 3s without the external handles had essentially the same mechanism without the external link and spring.The spring you are missing does need to be fairly strong to cope with the weight of the handle.

Stuart