Having painted body tub and installed tank I am ready to install pipe from tank to engine bay. The tank outlet seems to be 8mm or Imperial equivalent so I tried to use 8mm central heating pipe which was a miserable failure as it kinked very easilly and would not make the necessary tight bends. I am just following the sketch in the workshop manuals as regards runs as I did not dismantle the car in the first place. What have others used as brake pipe ? Is the joint needed because of the difficulty of installing the pipe in one piece ? How many clips are needed? Is the pipe clipped to the bulkhead in the engine bay? (Do not intend to use tap as I do not have one and previous posts suggest they are troublesome, unless someone out there knows where a modern replacement can be sourced?) Help!

Having painted body tub and installed tank I am ready to install pipe from tank to engine bay. The tank outlet seems to be 8mm or Imperial equivalent so I tried to use 8mm central heating pipe which was a miserable failure as it kinked very easilly and would not make the necessary tight bends. I am just following the sketch in the workshop manuals as regards runs as I did not dismantle the car in the first place. What have others used as brake pipe ? Is the joint needed because of the difficulty of installing the pipe in one piece ? How many clips are needed? Is the pipe clipped to the bulkhead in the engine bay? (Do not intend to use tap as I do not have one and previous posts suggest they are troublesome, unless someone out there knows where a modern replacement can be sourced?) Help!

Hi Norman D.- I'm not an expert, but have been through this stage of an as yet not completed TR-3B 'rehab' (not a 'true restoration' as we're not going to be stock/original at the conclusion). Anyway, I ended up using Cunifer (nickel/copper coated tubing) as I did with the brake lines I fab'd up, b/c it is quite nice to work with and has a good safety record. It bends or shapes well for larger diameter tubing, and flares and fits-up nicely. Yes, IMO, a joint is absolutely necessary, don't know how you could fit it with out. I think the clips are easily counted from a Moss catalog drawing, if not the original StanParts catalog. I'm not planning to use a tap either, tho 'Menno' shows a really cool one in his Photobucket restoration series. I just can't find one as nice, so far! Best, Kevin

Well worth fitting an isolator tap in the engine bay - obtainable from the usual TR suppliers. If you don't, you'll kick yourself every time you want to clean the pump filter bowl or do any other such job!

I have never understood why Triumph discontinued the tap when the TR4 came in - many of us have fitted a modern isolator tap to our TR4s. I have had a tap in place on my TR4 since 1993 with no problems whatsoever - and it is a real blessing when doing the work which I have described.

Ian Cornish

I used off the shelf pipe from an ordinary car parts supplier. Just bought a lenght (don't remember the exact lenght) and started installing. I followed the original routing: there's a joint halfway up, next to the chassis.

I used the existing holes: I used a special type of rivets: with a hole it which a self tapping screw fits. I used P-clips and the prementioned self tapping screws to attach the pipe to the chassis.

Menno

Well worth fitting an isolator tap in the engine bay - obtainable from the usual TR suppliers. If you don't, you'll kick yourself every time you want to clean the pump filter bowl or do any other such job!

I have never understood why Triumph discontinued the tap when the TR4 came in - many of us have fitted a modern isolator tap to our TR4s. I have had a tap in place on my TR4 since 1993 with no problems whatsoever - and it is a real blessing when doing the work which I have described.

Ian Cornish

To reinforce what Ian said: when the rebuilder of my TR3B replaced the fuel pipes, he installed a tap right where the pipe enters the engine compartment, down low. At first, I couldn't see why he would have done it, but Ian has summed it up pretty well. This tap will preclude messing with golf tees, and the like, when doing any fuel pump cleaning.

Menno, that looks like a tap for water pipes. Does the nylon inlay support gazoline over a longer period ;)

I was thinking the same thing. Normally you should be able to get a data sheet from the suppliers to confirm its suitability.

Thanks for all the replies guys have sent off for pipe bender and will try again with 8 mm central heating pipe since I have a 50ft coil,have also bought a connector to do the job in two stages and have found what looks like a suitable tap from a kit car supplier on ebay, looks very similar to Menno's. More questions soon.