I was doing a bit of research and found the following Quote:

Wire wheel splines were not bolt on adapters before commission number TS-8637. They were separate one-piece hubs on front and rear. The were attached in the front to the stub axle, and in the rear to the differential axle shafts with a single center castellated nut and cotter pin. It is recommended for safety that old style adapters be replaced with new bolt-on adapters since no visual difference is apparent.

Can anybody suggest why this should be so, or even if it really is a recommended change. Is it particular to the Lockheed axle or is it just a myth from accross the pond!

As mine are original I would be very loath to change them unless there was avery good reason and then only for a safety issue such as weak splines.

Interested to hear others take on this!

Cheers

Rod

Wire wheel splines were not bolt on adapters before commission number TS-8637. They were separate one-piece hubs on front and rear. The were attached in the front to the stub axle, and in the rear to the differential axle shafts with a single center castellated nut and cotter pin. It is recommended for safety that old style adapters be replaced with new bolt-on adapters since no visual difference is apparent.

Can anybody suggest why this should be so, or even if it really is a recommended change. Is it particular to the Lockheed axle or is it just a myth from accross the pond!

As mine are original I would be very loath to change them unless there was avery good reason and then only for a safety issue such as weak splines.

Interested to hear others take on this!

Cheers

Rod

This would only be applicable to early Lockheed axles anyway and I suspect the quote may come from a restorer as the early hubs havent been available for years and most are probably fairly worn by now I would have thought. At least the later bolt on type are readily available now. Though saying that the Healey 100/4 100/6 and early 3000 had the same arrangement and I suspect that they are a very similar fitment. These are still available (Though at a god awful price) and it would be interesting to see if they would fit, they are correct in the spline size but Im not sure if the offset would be the same.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Wire wheel splines were not bolt on adapters before commission number TS-8637. T

It is recommended for safety that old style adapters be replaced with new bolt-on adapters

since no visual difference is apparent.

Hi Rod,

I don't know where this quote comes from, but I think it's wrong at least in the

commission number reference.

The change from one-piece hubs and splines was not at TS 8637, the end of

the TR2 series, but mid-way in the TR3 series, about TS 14,500 or whenever

it was that the girling disc brakes were introduced.

I haven't heard of any safety recommendation to change from the early design,

though after all these years, the state of the splines must be questionable

(unless they have low mileage and have been very well looked after).

There is nothing in the service data records (Teri Wakemann site) suggesting

that there were any problems at the time with the one-piece hubs and splines,

although I had a wheel come off in 1971 due to wear on the splines.

At the time, the one-piece hubs were about £6 - not bad value.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Hi Guys,

The following link is the source of the quote:

http://www.vtr.org/TR2/terrible_2s.shtml

Unfortunately it is not just the bolt on adapter I would need but also the hubs,studs and either spacers or cut down nuts.

The splines bear no indication of wear or twists which can sometimes happen, so I would prefer to keep original unless a very good arguement for change.

Rod

The following link is the source of the quote:

http://www.vtr.org/TR2/terrible_2s.shtml

Hi Rod,

The VTR page is a useful summary but is not fully accurate.

Further, the comment about changing to the later splined adaptors

is someone's opinion and, I would suggest, expert opinion is not

necessarily consistent with the comments made.

I stand by my comments above.

AlanR

I can't be sure (although I'd be happy to ask the author of the VTR page, whom I know), but I suspect that the implication is not that one MUST immediately remove the old splined adaptors; rather that it would be much more expedient to use readily available new bolt-on adaptors when renewing seriously worn old ones, particularly since it's unlikely that one could find new original-style adaptors. I do understand that it would require some other parts sourcing in some instances, and I'm quite certain the author is well aware of that fact as well.

There was a somewhat related Factory Service Bulletin issued:

No. SPORTS/5/L HUB ADAPTORS FOR WIRE WHEELS Date JANUARY 1957

A splined hub adaptor for wire wheels has been introduced, which is attached to the normal hub used with disc wheels. This adaptor is now used for all cars equipped with wire wheels and was introduced in normal manufacture from Commission No. TS.13000. This adaptor can be used on all Sports Cars which have been manufactured, where it is desired to fit wire wheels. If, however, it is wished to fit this adaptor to hubs which have previously been used for disc wheels, the wheel studs will

have to be shortened by 5/16” to prevent them fouling the back of the road wheels....

For whatever that's worth....

Edited by Herald948

Hi Rod,

websites can be wonderfully informative, but it's all too easy for knowledgeable authors to fall into the trap of not adequately differentiating between objective fact and subjective personal opinion.

Even data published by Standard Triumph cannot always be accepted at face value - I have a number of parts books which came from a main dealer more than 30 years ago, these are peppered with handwritten annotations. Evidently the parts department found reason to query, contradict, correct, whatever the detail printed in said parts books.

I'd suggest that if your existing existing axles and hubs are in good condition, and can be adequately refurbished, then there is no pressing need to replace with later model components. As a general observation, later model components which are interchangeable with an earlier version may well have been introduced for reasons of manufacturing economy rather than for any perceived improvement in performance. Just my cynical opinion !

If it ain't broke, don't fix it . . . . ;)

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Alec,

Totally agree with your " ain't broke don't fix" but I was intested to hear if anyone had a take on why this might even be suggested. It is obvious that if the splines have a twist or the wheel falls on or off then something needs to be done.

The same goes I suppose for the suggested change from the early Lockeed axle since is supposed to be weaker than the Girling one.

More than enough issues on my plate without unnecessary change.

I imagine that the later factory assembly line suited the fitment of one style of hub and if splines required only the excess to trim.

Drop me a PM when you have a minute that you are available for a consultation.

Rgds

Rod

Hi Rod,

I don't know where this quote comes from, but I think it's wrong at least in the

commission number reference.

The change from one-piece hubs and splines was not at TS 8637, the end of

the TR2 series, but mid-way in the TR3 series, about TS 14,500 or whenever

it was that the girling disc brakes were introduced.

Alan, you are right. The bolt-on hub for wire wheels was started at TS13046, when the major changes were done to the front brake system (disc brakes), 10" Girling rear brakes, FSU, "T" brake/clutch pedals, rear axle, brake pipes and hoses, 4-1/2" road wheel, and nave plate medallion.

Good memory; I wish I still had mine.