road wheel studs

My tr4 has the splined adaptors fitted,I had noticed some take up of the road wheel with the hand brake on. after taking a wheel off the spline assembly was seen to be loose, two broken studs. Broken where threaded into the hub. Has anyone done an upgrade to these studs ?Well it may be that 45 years of use has caused fatigue and it is time to replace the complete set, or are there splined press in types available that may be stronger than the thread in arrangement?

My tr4 has the splined adaptors fitted,I had noticed some take up of the road wheel with the hand brake on. after taking a wheel off the spline assembly was seen to be loose, two broken studs. Broken where threaded into the hub. Has anyone done an upgrade to these studs ?Well it may be that 45 years of use has caused fatigue and it is time to replace the complete set, or are there splined press in types available that may be stronger than the thread in arrangement?

Probably more like the small nuts holding the spline extension on have been loose for some time and the fretting has sheared the studs.New studs are available from the usual suspects ;) .

Stuart

The studs are not screwed into the hubs.

They are pressed in and the shank is made an interference with 'knurled' like stripes along the shank.

The rear ones fit easily into the hub without hub removal. ;)

The front ones require the hub removing and disassembling. :(

If the previous ones lasted 40 years the you stand no chance of wearing out a new set :lol:

Roger

Roger thank you for the information,which has caused more confusion. Looking at Mr Revingtons site for studs there are on offer oversized threaded studs and taps to enable replacement when original threads damaged or torn out from the hub!So to take out the broken off stud do I press it or screw it through? Anyone who has had to do this please tell me what you did.

If it is the 4 studs that hold the road wheel to the hub then these are pressed in.

Roger

Roger, I think you are referring to the TR4A which indeed has press-in wheel studs as you describe. The TR4 has threaded wheel studs which explains why Revingtons supply oversize studs in case the thread gets damaged.

Hope this clarifies any confusion.

Cheers

Graeme

OK so there is a difference, can the press in type be fitted as a replacement for the threaded type as used on the 4? Will Bobby Smith please make contact. 01326 373910.

I've recently replaced one of the studs on my 4A. I had to cut the nut off and jiggered the thread on the stud in the process. (Don't remember doing it up too tightly, but must have had the air driven gizmo on 4.)

The replacement stud and nut came from Moss bros.

It was pretty easy to drive the wrecked one out and put the new one in.

In a previous post one of our contributors had advised to pull it completely into place using one of the wheel nuts which is what I did.

Hi

Yes. been there, done this very mod.

Remove half shafts. You will need to precision drill out the the holes to accept later splined studs after removing the old screw in studs.

Do not be tempted to spot weld the rear of newly screwed in studs... they fail.

Alternatively I have two good original half shafts with studs.

One is an original factory short stud version specifically for hub extensions (not cut down) and also one original long stud version (will need to be cut down)

Drop me a PM if of interest

Cheers

Darren