Alternator & thin belt conversion

Hello fellow sidescreeners

Having searched and read some horror stories about conversion kits that require machining etc to make them fit, can anyone please recommend which supplier(s) provides an alternator & thin belt conversion that actually fits without any phaffing around?

Cheers

Andrew

I used, on my TR4, one from Cambridge Motorsports- possibly the same one as Moss supplies- with an 18ACR alternator. It all fitted straight on, I assume you have the same alternator to wing clearance as a 4?

Rod

Revington, too, with various alternators available. I think Neil can supply the modified bracket to provide the mounting to the block at the under side of the alternator (the alternator is shorter than the dynamo), and heat shield to stop it getting cooked by the exhaust manifold.

Ian Cornish

Andrew, I used the Cambridge Motorsport kit on my TR4 engine and the alternator is so small it didn't need a heat shield (I have a standard exhaust manifold). I have done about 8000 mile since fitting it and not had any problems yet. If you do use a heat shield, while they do not look so pretty I am told that card ones like the radiator duct card are more efficient as the metal ones conduct heat and aren't therefore so efficent. Depends on how close to teh exhaust it is going to be I guess.

Andrew, I used the Cambridge Motorsport kit on my TR4 engine and the alternator is so small it didn't need a heat shield (I have a standard exhaust manifold).

Trevor

Can you please email me a photo of your set-up?

Cheers

Andrew

I would be concerned about fire risk if using a heat shield made of card.

Whilst I agree that a metal shield is a conductor, there is a solution (from my Technicalities article on conversion to alternator):

.... simple heat shield made from thin sheet steel or aluminium alloy. The shield can be secured to the foremost manifold stud, which is used to secure the exhaust to the cylinder head, and to the rearmost of the 3 set screws that hold the dynamo/alternator bracket to the crankcase. The exhaust manifold pipework from cylinder number one should be wrapped in an insulating material to a point where it's a decent distance from the alternator, and, for extra security, the side of the shield facing the manifold can be clad with an insulating mat. I used one of the Solder Mats that you can buy from any DIY store for protecting the fabric of your house when making solder joints on the plumbing. I cut the mat to the correct shape and secured it to the shield with a screw and some super-glue. Get as big an air gap as possible between the alternator and the shield i.e. get the shield tight against the insulating material and exhaust manifold.

Ian Cornish