As some peolpe know I am regulator obsessive . I have now abandoned new products entirely and sold off my collection of broken and useless units from India for spares or repair. There was too much charge or no charge or the cut out failed and any adjustment made everything worse.

I still have my collection of old Lucas items from the 60's and understand that the cleaning and adjustment is best carried out in a workshop by someone who knows what they are doing, and not by myself in the lock up at night. I even have the official Lucas manual.

I have now found a company called Cox Automotive and they have refurbished my old unit. It came back looking like new and working very well. I gave it a test and with the heater, lights, spotlights and electric fan in use,and the ammeter moved to discharge. I returned it for adjustment and they reset it at 14.2 volts. I have just completed 500 miles and with my previous units the battery would have needed topping up twice in that mileage. So far no topping up at all and the electrolyte level has not fallen. If the revs drop to 650 the ignition light glows. So the cut out is working well and the ammeter shows a small charge at all times after the initial battery charge on start up. I am so pleased that I sent them two more which have just come back in sealed plastic bags so that they can live in my spare parts department without degrading. I still have a fine collection of old lucas stock usually bought from ebay for a few pounds.

In summary I feell that the steel and copper used in the 60's was better quality. My friend who used to work for Lucas tells me that the company reckoned to makke £5.0.0. every time the customer took the cover off the control unit. I do take off my cover sometimes to show people what a new regulator used to look like in 1972. There is no way I am adjusting at home ever again. I hope that sending out this post will not incur the wrath of the heavens and my new unit packs up next weekend.

This post is primarily aimed at Don Elliott. Send me your old unit Don and start again with a proper refurbishment. I feel that these workshops will gradually fade away over the years and I am stocking up while I can. :Dcontrol box

Richard I have used Cox automotive before to refurb an oddball French starter motor (Paris Rhone type) and they did a superb job with a finish suitable for a concours car and a very good turnround time as well.When I rang them they knew all about them and the usual problems they suffer from. I highly recommend them.

Stuart

Richard

Pleased to hear a solution has been found.

Two "like new" units in sealed plastic bags ? Are you happy that there is no moisture, sealed in the bags, to start the rust process ? Otherwise a couple of bags of Silca/ moisture absorbing cystals might be a small investment !!

just a thought

Bob